Christmas in the Tropics

December 16th, 2006   •   8 comments

Despite not having an inch of snow, Christmas in Singapore has always been celebrated in grand style. Scintillating lights adorn our shopping streets, year-end sales fill the newspaper pages, and lovely Christmas trees all outdo each other. Age-old carols blast through the airwaves, while people make plans for parties, short getaways and breaks. Giving, feasting, celebrating and rejoicing in the reason for the season.

An idea just struck me. Why don’t we get Singaporeans and visitors to blog about their festive-related experiences in Singapore and highlight noteworthy ones to the world? After all, Word Of Mouth is one of the strongest ways to sell a destination, and nothing beats a blog in doing that. Maybe I should suggest that to the Singapore Tourism Board?

Meanwhile, let me help to usher in the spirit of Christmas – Uniquely Singapore style!

Christmas lights along Bras Basah Road, just outside the Singapore Art Museum.

Orchard Road Lights
A view from inside my car of Orchard Road’s mesmerising (and traffic stopping) lights.

Tanglin Mall - Christmas Lightings
Tanglin Mall’s beautiful decor of Christmas trees, lights and presents galore.

Christmas Tree @ Paragon
A blue, star studded beauty of a tree outside Orchard’s Paragon Shopping Centre.

A giant 3-storeyed Christmas tree in Ngee Ann City. See how it dwarfed us mere mortals?

A smaller, more traditional looking yule-tide fir at Hotel Rendezvous.

Another photo from Rendezvous, this time of a ginger-bread house. Sorry, I didn’t test to see if its as tasty as it looks!

Disney’s world famous animals meeting and greeting shoppers at Takashimaya. The icons of consumer culture!

Tina and Ethan diving into the thick of the action at Ngee Ann City Basement.

“When I grow up, I want to be just like him and make billions from licensing!”

Coming up next – my adventures in a real winter wonderland!

1. posted on Dec 17, 2006 at 5:53 AM

Love that gingerbread house! The Christmas tree at Paragon looks gorgeous. Coincidentally when I was on my way home on the cab yesterday, I passed by the tree at Tanglin Mall. It didn’t really appeal to me that much although my friend thought it looked great.

2. posted on Dec 21, 2006 at 3:12 AM

Oh shucks. Haven’t had time to see the Christmas lights around town. That’s a annual thing for me. Must go this weekend. Beautiful pictures you have taken.

3. posted on Dec 21, 2006 at 3:47 PM

Thanks for your comments Veron and eastcoastlife. I am trying to experiment with a mixture of more serious marketing and PR advice kinda blog with more lifestyle posts. Glad that my amateurish photographic efforts looks OK.

4. posted on Dec 21, 2006 at 10:16 PM

hey, paragon and ngee ann city has the same christmas trees again. i remembered i was totally lying down on with my back on the floor just to take a full pic of ngee ann’s christmas tree.
    well the meaning of christmas is found in the christmas service in various churches around singapore. i accepted Christ at Church of Our Saviour at Queenstown. I did share with my youth group that sometimes we took things for granted. only when it comes to crossing the bridge or having the burn bridges, we will appear before God. not that God doesn’t show mercy but are we fair to God then. God is still watching over you and your family. trust God that will lead you to the right church for the coming christmas service.
    I’m stucked here at the desert with my heart wanting to go but really sad. it will be the first that i’m going to miss for the last 20 yrs being a christian.

5. posted on Dec 25, 2006 at 5:20 AM

Thanks for bringing us around on an armchair tour of the Christmas light-up areas around Orchard and Bras Basah, Walter. Nice photos to attract more tourists to Singapore too. 😉

6. Anonymous
    posted on Jan 04, 2007 at 10:57 PM

Makes me want to visit Singapore during Christmastime

7. Tractor Boy
    posted on Jan 04, 2007 at 10:58 PM

Any santa clauses? Do Singaporeans buy Xmas presents for their friends and family?

8. posted on Dec 10, 2009 at 12:06 PM

ho..ho..ho..nice christmas style.
    lifestyle is an interesting to everyone cause lifestyle is part of the nature of a person.
    related post : lifestyle on the net.