The Day The Music Died

December 29th, 2006   •   7 comments

My relatively new Dell PC has just refused to boot up last night and this morning, and I suspect that there is a hard disk failure. Of course, this meant that I can’t blog or participate in anything online – heck anything that requires a PC. I can’t even get into the CMOS/BIOS thing by pressing Del or F9 which means something big time is screwed up inside. It could be something related to the rain, power surges (although my adaptor is supposed to have protection), or maybe even physical damage related. Grrr…..

After the initial hyperventilating, stewing and steaming, going into denial, uncontrollable sobbing (Ok I exaggerate), I started to see things in a more philosophical manner. The good thing (yes, there is a silver cloud in the lining) is that I am rediscovering the joys of spending time away from the screen, playing with my son, and admiring God’s green earth. Also, I guess I will read more – I still owe Ivan that book review!

The last time my old PCs hard disk died, I remembered taking an online hiatus for about a month or so. Life changed then for me. I spent more time talking to my parents, more time exercising, and more time reading. In addition, I rediscovered the joys of the simple things in life like a walk in a park, and just plain ol’ staring at the ceiling daydreaming.

What’s your PC/hard disk failure experiences like?

1. posted on Dec 29, 2006 at 4:26 AM

I know how you feel.

It was a pain to lose my photos and documents but I still had internet access at work and through the family computer at home.

I didn’t spend as much time on the internet but I wasn’t totally cut off either.

2. posted on Dec 29, 2006 at 10:00 AM

Hi! You’re back!
    Touch wood! Still haven’t had such thing happening to me.

But these two days, due to the earthquake in Taiwan, the slow internet speed is making me so mad!!!

It’s very frustrating because I have no way of contacting my Taiwanese friends & students in the earthquake affected area. I’m praying hard that they are alright.

3. posted on Jan 03, 2007 at 5:15 PM

I got an impending hard disk failure about a month ago. I say impending because HP/Compaq PCs are now very smart. They literally have a S.M.A.R.T – self monitoring and reporting technology (or something to that effect). They tell you that you have an impending hard disk failure, both on boot-up and later, in the task bar as well. They tell you to back-up important files and call HP for service. At first I ignored the message as I thought it was a false message. But when I contacted HP, they said that the message was accurate because the performance of the hard disk was monitored by the motherboard. Finally I got my hard disk replaced under warranty.

4. posted on Jan 03, 2007 at 11:09 PM

well, my hard disk was corrupted before i left for sudan. and can only call back via telephone to chat with family. no chatting time with them for quite some time. so far, my laptop is in tip top condition. only internet service is the issue here. when there’s no internet connection, it’s back to the world again….haha read books, watch movie, chat with colleagues (who were also geeks like me)

5. posted on Jan 04, 2007 at 9:23 AM

Thanks for your comments guys. I guess what is especially difficult about this failure is that it happens at a time when blogging has taken on a frenzied pace for me. In a sense, blogging does help to ensure that the Web has a little piece of me in the event that my own home PC no longer does! That is something that is nice to know.

6. posted on Jan 08, 2007 at 1:56 AM

Whenever that happens, I use another computer. And inspired by your post, I’m beginning to spend more time with my family! 😀

7. posted on Jan 08, 2007 at 2:04 PM

hey Brennan, thanks for popping by and glad to know that my post has inspired something good. I guess one of the problems that people who are too blog-obsessed suffer is that we occasionally neglect the ones that matter most.