The Hanging Gardens of Singapore

December 24th, 2006   •   6 comments

Merry Christmas dear visitors! Hope to add some yule-tide cheer with some greenery here.

I was recently invited for the Singapore Garden Festival as part of the delegation from the Association of Singapore Attractions. Despite only having an hour-and-a-half to do a whirlwind tour, I was left gushing after the amazing experience. The National Parks Board has done many things right this time around for the festival.

Here are some highlights of the show for the benefit of those who missed it.
200612201738_01042
Exotic orchids featured prominently. Here are some award winning hybrids which my dad (who was formerly an orchid farmer) would have been proud of.

200612201722_01019
An orchid-led garden display put together by Shangri La Hotel.

200612201730_01028
Vegetables and crops that you can still find in Singapore. Looks yummy!

200612201733_01033
Mini ornamental plants in glass aquariums and bottles. Truly works of art!

200612201734_01036
Water is the essence of all plant – and animal – life.

200612201759_01067
Fantasy garden offering a view from a prison cell. Now I wonder if convicts had them so good!

200612201752_01058
Tropical oasis in the middle of a concrete jungle.

200612201801_01069
A dark and dank gold award winning landscape, showing what would happen if we continue to ignore the Inconvenient Truth.

200612201755_01062
Dazzling blue lights worthy of an Orchard Road Christmas display.

200612201734_01035
What do Singaporeans like best? Free talks (this one’s on using spices in cooking and traditional therapies)….

200612201744_01048
shopping…. and last but certainly not least….

200612201757_01066
…lucky draws! This is probably the most popular exhibit in the festival!

Up next, some key lessons on how to make your event spectacular.

Tags: , , , ,

6 comments

1. ammoontie
    posted on Dec 25, 2006 at 8:31 AM

hi Walter,
    Just dropping by to say hello and merry christmas…
    Nice blog..nice pics…!

2. posted on Dec 25, 2006 at 3:50 AM

Aiya! Heard that it is very good, but no time to go. Today last day, no chance to see also. sob……

Can see from your photos, very beautiful. haiz…..

3. posted on Dec 25, 2006 at 4:58 AM

Hi Walter, very nice photos indeed. I’ve also taken a few but yours have much nicer angles. Oh, did you take the one where they had these little cactus arranged in neat rows so that from far, they looked like a colourful bench? But up close, woe to the one who tries to sit on them!

4. posted on Dec 25, 2006 at 10:49 AM

eastcoastlife,

Thanks for the compliments. I hope that I can at least capture a little of that magic here.

Ivan,

I shot these with my Dopod’s 2 meg pinhole camera, relying quite a lot on external props (like stands, lamp posts etc) for stability. Am still very amateurish though I try to apply the tricks of photography (rule of thirds, up close, unusual angles etc).

5. posted on Dec 25, 2006 at 10:50 AM

ammoontie,

Thanks for popping by and do check back often. Will try to make the posts engaging (where time and energy permits)….

Merry Christmas!

6. Roger
    posted on Jan 01, 2007 at 4:24 AM

Yea bro ! Hanging gardens are great ! Sometimes we need to leave town to appreciate town…just got back from our “brudder country” up north & can’t help but realise how orderly SG is….for the life of me though, I don’t understand why we are still here paying the mortgages…migrate…that’s a thought.