Childcare Leave and Dell Heaven

January 8th, 2007   •   8 comments

Yes, I am back online! It sure feels good to be connected again, after last fortnight’s scary episode.

First, I must share that I took childcare MC leave today to bring my kid to the paediatrician. He was the latest victim, together with my wife and I, of some gastric related flu. It was some affliction that probably spread around when we last visited Bangkok. We went to his favourite Dr Yeo at the Killiney Family Clinic, and got some medicine for diarrhea, vomiting and related symptons.

Anyway, I spent about 2.5 hours this morning helping him to put together his gift from Auntie Karen – a nice big Peter Pan playset featuring one of the islands in Neverland. Finally managed to fix it amidst lots of grunting and straining over the intricate parts, but the look on his face was well worth it thereafter.

Ethan having fun with Neverland

After lunch, I read him a couple of story books, mostly borrowed from the National Library Board‘s fabulous children’s collections. Our libraries are fast becoming one of my family’s favourite hangouts after they have reinvented themselves. Following that, we both headed off to our own “Neverlands” and caught more than 40 winks each.

When I woke up before him, I decided to call the Dell hotline to see what’s wrong with my computer. There were a couple of pleasant surprises which I truly did not expect:

1) The line was easy to get through. There was no waiting time after I pressed the necessary preliminary codes and buttons.

2) The tech support guy spoke to me in a polite and clear manner, and did not ask for my customer code or support until towards the end of the session. In other words, even if I wasn’t a Dell customer, he would still have extended that same level of service.

3) The tech support guy was very patient throughout the process, telling me step-by-step to first unplug all USB and other connecting devices, then slowly plugging them in two at a time.

4) When I shared that the contents of the hard disk was especially valuable, he encouraged me to get an external HDD or other storage device and to backup weekly. Of course, I already knew this, but its nice to hear this.

5) The call ended with a friendly offer to let them know if anything else doesn’t work and to call back again. By this time, I could get everything up and running again.

Yes, coolinsights is back in action again!

I think its a blessing that I spent time today taking care of Ethan. God works in unusual ways. I am certain that when I made a decision this morning to bring him to the doctor and bond with him, something happened which resulted in the PC being fixed in such a painfree manner. This wasn’t an easy decision to make – there are currently many things in the office which needed attending to. However, somehow I felt a nudging that this is the right thing to do.

Ethan sang “Jesus Loves Me” very sweetly when I was putting together the Peter Pan playset this morning. Somehow, its lyrics struck a chord with me too, and reminded me of what’s more important in the bigger scheme of things.

Tags: , , , , ,

1. posted on Jan 08, 2007 at 3:26 PM

Dell can be a real pain to talk to sometimes! You also have a very interesting site. Thank you for visiting mine. I hope you are all feeling much better now. It’s the time of year for colds and flu and my girls have come home from school with the sniffles.

2. posted on Jan 09, 2007 at 11:23 AM

It seems that the taking of childcare MC leave may not be an easy decision, but it seems to reap a lot of benefit.

Ten years down the road, maybe no one in the office may remember that you won’t around when there were so many things to attend to, but your son will remember that his father took time to take him to see a doctor and take care of him when he was ill. Enjoy the moments of bliss with your family. 🙂

3. posted on Jan 09, 2007 at 1:08 PM

Thanks for visiting Rashenbo and peiyun! I appreciate the words of encouragement and well wishes. One of the things I realise as I delve deeper and deeper into blogging is that it has started to change me as a person too as I rediscover my inner child (sorry for the cliche!).

Its the combination of keeping a journal, deeper personal reflection, and friendships forged with many fellow bloggers which change my perspective of life. And that is something that money, power or career can never buy.

4. posted on Jan 09, 2007 at 3:35 PM

Welcome back on-line, Walter. Looking forward to more of your interesting and well-written posts.

5. charles
    posted on Jan 10, 2007 at 4:08 AM

Never underestimate the importance of spending time with your child at an early age as they grow up very quickly and are quicker now to have a mind of their own.

I made time for my son in between my travel and work and as a father this si something that does not happen very often as mostly it is the mothers who make the sacrifices.

My reward is that now even though he is a pre-teen (be turns 13 this June) he is still very close to me and I still make the effort to drive him to school every morning so we can do some bonding.

I can see the changes in my son Nick as he reaches pubery and is facing so many new changes in his life with a new school, new friends and so I make an extra effort at the end of the day too to help him unwind and spend some time talking to him before he goes to bed. I can see that he really enjoys the attention and this makes it all wortwhile. Give it a try if you haven’t yet and I assure you that your child will not end up with too may diffculties in adult life.

6. posted on Jan 10, 2007 at 4:51 AM

Whoa Walter! Hope all of you are well by now.

Spend more time with Ethan, and enjoy your time together. I didn’t have much time for my son when he was younger. But luckily he didn’t turn out too bad.

7. posted on Jan 14, 2007 at 6:27 PM

i gotten “gastric related flu” from BKK few years ago. Was really terrible & weak for few days!

That prompted me to be EXTRA careful when in BKK, especially stuffs that I pop into my mouth.

Latest victims were my friend’s sons in Dec 2006 grrrrrrrr ….

BKK BKK, love you, hate you hahahaha

8. posted on Jan 15, 2007 at 10:21 PM

slurp! thanks for visiting and sorry to hear about your abdominal distress. What was interesting was that our friends were affected by diarrhea there even though they ate mostly restaurant and hotel food, while me who ate street food was quite fine there. I find that incidences of gastric discomfort and diarrhea in my case are almost always related to stress rather than food hygiene.