Customer or Crook?

February 10th, 2007   •   12 comments

Spotted this sign at a second-hand bookshop somewhere. It tells me a couple of things:

1) We are very pally with the men-in-blue so “you better watch out, you better not cry…”

2) If you lose your receipt, good luck to you. We are not going to be sympathetic to your reasons.

3) We are too poor to print our sign on proper paper using toner or computer ink.

To show that they mean business, they even included this piece of evidence:

Yes, your eyes are not kidding you. It IS a letter from the police which showed that a recent thief at the shop was arrested by the Police and jailed for 10 months.

I forgot to add that there was also a sign somewhere (I didn’t manage to capture that) which said that if you unwrap a book from its beautiful shrink wrap, it will be considered sold.

I don’t know whether to cry or to laugh.

Tags: , ,

1. Benjamin Koe
    posted on Feb 11, 2007 at 3:19 PM

Hahahahaha!!! Sorry, but you just made me laugh out loud. Well, you’ve got to give them an ‘A’ for effort. Hahaha… *still laughing*

2. posted on Feb 11, 2007 at 2:38 PM

Hello there!

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. As requested I have now included your link.

You have an interesting blog.

Best wishes,

3. posted on Feb 11, 2007 at 3:02 PM

U make some changes on ur profile, din u ??

*frown* this bookshop seems so unfriendly and unprofessional.

posted on Feb 12, 2007 at 3:10 AM

I think their shoplifting problem must be pretty serious to make them resort to such desperate measure.

5. posted on Feb 12, 2007 at 1:54 AM

wah lau these people ah…ur entry got me cracking Walter, and I love your point 3 man…print the freaking sign ain’t too expensive!!

6. posted on Feb 12, 2007 at 7:45 AM

An ever-observant me did not fail to notice that the shop had very strategically placed the signs in their ‘Crime and Mystery’ section where their stacks of ‘Agatha Christie’ books are. How appropriate. Their books must have been mysteriously disappearing from their shelves, haha.

7. posted on Feb 12, 2007 at 1:10 PM

Thanks for your comments pals. I especially like Victor’s sleuthing… Ha ha….

I wonder why retailers should penalise the 99% of customers who are not thieves just so they can catch the 1% who are. Of course, if the problem is really rampant, then they should invest in a better security system.

The other “poem” which I cannot tahan is this very famous one:
    “Good to look at,
    Nice to hold,
    If you break it,
    Consider it sold!”

8. posted on Feb 12, 2007 at 2:23 PM

Sounds like SOMEBODY really means business.

9. posted on Feb 13, 2007 at 4:17 AM

That is some good stuff there.I got a good laugh from it.

Steven Wilson

10. posted on Feb 13, 2007 at 7:25 AM

The “No Receipt STRICTLY No Return” mean poor service to me. How good the service can be when you have strictly state a STRICTLY rule. I remembered I got an exchange of my T-shirt at Hard Rock Cafe in Rio even after I washed it and without receipt, of course.
    Guess there is a lot more to improve for all services in SG.

11. posted on Feb 13, 2007 at 2:52 PM

david and steven,

Thanks for popping by guys. Really appreciate your visit and comments here. I guess certain things are still rather primitive here in Singapore – unfortunately.

12. posted on Feb 14, 2007 at 11:56 AM

That’s the one at Holland Village Shopping Centre yeah?