How Much is My Brand Worth?

February 13th, 2007   •   10 comments

I came across this awesome blog on branding by the Blake Project which offers truckloads of fabulous advice and insights on the art and science of branding. This is probably one of the best blogs on marketing which I have seen. What’s great is that they do offer lots of free stuff too.

How does one measure brand equity? There are many ways to do it. InterbrandBusinessweek’s methodology is probably the most famous for listed companies, and many marketers are familiar with their Top 100 Global Brands.

I personally like the approach which Blake Project has adopted. According to them, there are five key attributes which drive customers’ brand insistence, namely:

1) Awareness
2) Relevant Differentiation
3) Value
4) Accessibility
5) Emotional Connection

This is very nicely encapsulated in the following chart:

Courtesy of brandstrategyinsider.com

What I like is the emphasis on emotional connection. This is a fundamental component of any strong brand, yet most brand measurement systems neglect it altogether, preferring to focus on the hard numbers like dollars and cents. Over the long term, how a brand performs will inevitably depend on how much emotional capital it has invested over the years with its customers and other stakeholders.

Link

10 comments

1. Benjamin Koe
    posted on Feb 14, 2007 at 2:05 AM

Great find! Thanks Walter. Didn’t realise Malcom Gladwell blogged on the site. =)

2. posted on Feb 14, 2007 at 1:40 AM

ahhh..another useful post by the coolinsider. Walter nice one man..gonna bookmark that page..

3. posted on Feb 14, 2007 at 5:44 AM

No problems. I am glad to plug them and I wished that there is such a branding agency in Singapore. Unfortunately, many marketing, advertising and PR agencies here (Ben…hint hint…) are still pretty stingy with their advice.

Hmmm…maybe I should drop them an email…. 😉

4. posted on Feb 15, 2007 at 4:12 AM

Hope 1 fine year, Singapore brand can be in the list too….. just wonder when will this happen?? 😛

5. posted on Feb 15, 2007 at 5:35 AM

I am sure it will happen eventually if we all work hard at it. Right now, I am hoping to position myself as a marketing and communications thought leader. Haha yeah right 🙂

6. tanguy
    posted on Feb 15, 2007 at 2:44 PM

it’s all about brand equity… emotional relationships with the customers thru events, contacts, taste of the product, advertising… A very interesting topic. The whole problem might be about poundering the right value of it, and translate it in USD. The only methodology I can see could be thru extrapolation and comparisons : all competitive brands in one sector gathered in a batch – a random 200 potential customers – they have to pick one product, only one, as a gift… % could be a nice criteria to get an idea about how much the brand worths… what do you think ?

7. tanguy
    posted on Feb 15, 2007 at 3:22 PM

Well, you are right Walter, things are a bit more complicated than this “too straightforward” method 🙂
    But at the end, results might be the same.
    On the other hand what’s the point to get a brand lots of ppl know, even love,… but don’t buy ?
    It would interesting to see if such cases exist btw … (not sure…)

8. posted on Feb 15, 2007 at 2:59 PM

Interesting point tanguy. I agree that sometimes the simplest and most straightforward test may be better than all the numbers that the marketing analysts and bean counters can crunch! 😉

9. posted on Feb 15, 2007 at 3:20 PM

Stumbled by for the first time, just wanted to compliment you on a post (and blog) well well done.

10. posted on Apr 04, 2009 at 12:42 AM

In terms of Relevant Differentiation, has anyone on here used analytical strategic product line management and analytical marketing research techniques like Shapely value?