Leapin’ Lions and Rollin’ Dragons

February 21st, 2007   •   6 comments

As some of you would know, my 3.25 year old son Ethan simply LOVES lion dance performances. He will go into a frenzy, eyes glazed and jaw agape, when he hears the heart pounding bellows of the Chinese drums coupled with the clashing cymbals. Long time readers would probably have seen him doing his own lion dancing performance before.

This CNY, Ethan was really lucky. He managed to catch not just two lion dancing but an exciting dragon dance at his great grandmother’s place at McNair Road. How did it go? Well first, a few words of greetings from our sponsor.

Next is a video of the two very energetic lions prancing about.

Finally, the dancing dragon having a rollin’ good time. Note that the sound of the drums and cymbals are slightly different from a lion dance performance.

You can see that this isn’t just any dragon and lion dance troupe. These guys are in fact professionals from the Tian Eng Dragon and Lion Dance Centre. They even have a website! Don’t pray pray…

OK guys, hope you enjoyed the videos. Normal programming resume tomorrow so keep tuning in…

1. posted on Feb 21, 2007 at 4:46 PM

ahh…reminds me of my younger days man..i love them lion dance…it still captures my attention tho..keke..

hey hey..finally saw a video of your son…cute dude..you are one happy and lucky father eh? 😉

eh..you still in a CNY mood yeah?

2. posted on Feb 22, 2007 at 3:27 AM

When young, I used to sit on my dad’s shoulder to watch those lion dance performance at Chinatown 🙂

Brings back good memories!

3. posted on Feb 22, 2007 at 1:36 PM

I hate the loud noise. Around my place during Chinese New Year, I hear it almost everyday.

The kids love it though.

posted on Feb 23, 2007 at 2:20 AM

Are we looking at Spore Idol 2017?

5. posted on Feb 23, 2007 at 2:54 AM

Me too, I dont quite enjoy the loud noise of the lion dancing but do like to watch the dancing (funny me right?). Anyway this traditional culture should pass to our next generation. It represents prospect and happiness.

6. posted on Feb 24, 2007 at 2:37 PM

Thanks for watching and glad you enjoyed the videos. Occasionally I do post a little personal stuff about my life and my family. Its part of my blogging style I guess, mixing professional inputs with personal reflections.