Zoophilia

February 25th, 2007   •   12 comments

I recently re-visited the Zoo during a management retreat. Amidst all that brainstorming activity, we did manage to squeeze a little time to visit the Zoo. As I walked through the lush environment in the warm tropical Sun, I was convinced once again why the Zoo can attract more than a million visitors a year! Here’s the story through photos.

The first thing is landscaping. Notice how the home of the Hamadryas Baboons from Ethiopia looks better than a District 10 Bungalow? Go ahead and drool folks!

Next up is the picturesque scenes which adorn much of the zoological gardens. Note how green and lush the tropical foliage are.

Simple, clear and easily understood educational panels that appeal to audiences of all ages and education levels can be found throughout. Here is one on the different types of Baboons and their communal behaviours.

Another on how a mongoose can crack open its prey for food. Illustrated and clear to anybody whether they are 6 or 60.

Similarly, there are multi-lingual signages to cater to tourists of different linguistic orientation. Here is one in Japanese.

Rest stops can also be found at convenient corners to let hot and flustered guests take a nice break. They come with glass panels to observe the animals. Some are even air-conditioned!

The Zoo is also good at live events. Its entertaining zookeepers can keep visitors spellbound with engaging activities like this meet and greet session with an Orang Utan.

Finally, merchandising and F&B which they seem to do particularly well. Here is their awesome souvenir shop offering practically anything animal-related under the Sun.

And of course, everybody’s favourite Ben and Jerry’s Ice Cream Parlour. A yummilicious treat after a hot and tiring day at the zoo.

With all these stops covered, it is little wonder why the Zoo is still creating waves in Singapore’s tourism scene after so many years in the business!

12 comments

posted on Feb 25, 2007 at 9:24 AM

I went to the zoo on last Tues, Day 3 of Chinese New Year – not to visit but to fetch my daughter. The crowds were unbelieveable. The car were parked along the main road for easily 1 km. Wish Minister Mah Bow Tan could be there and maybe he wouldn’t plod on with this mad idea to increase our population to 6.5 million. But knowing our gahmen, once they set their mind on something, nothing can change them. Sigh.

2. posted on Feb 25, 2007 at 3:44 AM

ah yes..the zoo..I love it love it love it. My gf, her sis and me popped over there like two months back and we had a ball tho..

Quite interesting to find out more info about animals you know of like Giraffes and Komodo Dragons eh?

I think the zoo has really improved their facilities since the last time I went there..like a few thousand years ago..keke 😛

3. posted on Feb 25, 2007 at 8:08 AM

Hmm… maybe our curators can learn a thing or two from the zoo people? 😛

4. posted on Feb 25, 2007 at 8:14 AM

I forgot to add – doesn’t ‘zoophilia’ mean ‘sexual attraction to animals’? Either I didn’t know you have such a tendency or you also like to use sensational titles for your posts, like me. 😛

5. posted on Feb 25, 2007 at 10:31 AM

Aahhh, I love our Zoo and I’m very proud of it. It is a must visit for all my foreign friends. And they fell in love with it after that!

Jaymes loves it too, since young. Nowadays he’s the one bringing my foreign friends to all the attractions in Singapore. 🙂

Oh Mr Lam, the gahmen can don’t change their mind, but we can change them.

6. posted on Feb 25, 2007 at 3:09 PM

Thanks for your comments friends.

I have always loved animals like you too, since I was a kid and now when I have a kid. When I was in NUS many years ago, one of my dreams was to become a researcher of bears in the Rockies. I was a… errmm… pretty good student and my professor even urged me to stay on. However, things took a turn I guess and tada, I am in NHB now.

7. posted on Feb 25, 2007 at 3:10 PM

victor, haha, you caught me regarding the name of the title. Though I am not sure if many people will associate Zoophilia with bestiality!

As for the issue with curators, well…..

8. posted on Feb 25, 2007 at 3:13 PM

chun see, I too am not sure how Singapore will be like with 6.5 million people. I do know however, that there will always be pockets of quiet, solitude and serenity that can be found if you search hard enough. And those will be my special secret places. 😉

9. posted on Feb 25, 2007 at 3:16 PM

eastcoastlife,

I believe that every Singaporean can play a key role and make a difference wherever he or she is. A lot of things can be done to change our sphere of influence. In fact, amongst public officers, it is the same thing too.

10. posted on Feb 26, 2007 at 6:18 AM

How come the Zoo can succeed so well as an attraction while many other places struggle?

Is it their marketing and advertising? Or is it because they have a superior product? I am of the opinion that they do possess an excellent product and know how to get the most mileage out of it.

For example, they recently tied up a campaign with National Geographic about the artic/antartic, just about the same time as when Happy Feet hit the cinemas… talk about clever timing!

11. Anonymous
    posted on Feb 26, 2007 at 5:50 AM

The reason our gahmen doesn’t like to change its mind is becos they don’t want to be seen to be wrong. In other words don’t want to lose. In other words Kiasu with capital K.

12. posted on May 24, 2007 at 8:40 AM

This is very nice article a lot of little online home-based businesses to start. I think that it would be fun and educational to go through the hoops of getting the business licenses. Who want to more information visit the site business brainstorming