Are We Pigging Out?

April 24th, 2007   •   20 comments

Grrr…. I just realise that my home has been downgraded lately – from a HDB flat to a pig sty! Obviously, we need a lot more public education efforts to support the recent Earth Day celebrations and Bring Your Own Bag (BYOB) campaigns.

Our problem of littering isn’t fresh news. In fact, it has been happening all this while. The reason why our island still remained clean and green is largely due to the huge army of contract cleaners and waste management workers that we employ. Without them, I shudder to think what state of decay and filth we will end up with.

I took the following photographs a couple of days ago to show you what I mean, and I didn’t even have to travel far from my flat.
P1000991
The first unsightly piece of rubbish comes in a box, complete with plastic packaging on a ledge.

P1000737
When I stepped into the lift, I was greeted by pieces of strewn tissue papers, cigarette butts, and flyers. Believe it or not, this is a DAILY affair.

P1000740
At the ground level, I spotted somebody’s newspaper on the ledge, together with a bunch of flyers and brochures.

P1000743
The situation isn’t any better at the letter box area. In fact, this is often the dirtiest zone, with junk mail strewn on the floor by inconsiderate residents.

P1000746
Even the carpark area was not spared. Here a crushed plastic cup bore witness to the uncivil acts of man.

P1000742
Needless to say, the corridors had a “paper trail” for wannabe detectives keen to track down and hunt their quarry.

P1000910
Things got so desperate that some of my neighbours have put up their own posters. Unfortunately, they ended up on the floor as litter themselves!

Is there something that we can do together to stop these selfish acts? How can we preserve our environment when others seem hell bent on destroying it? Any ideas?

20 comments

1. DK
    posted on Apr 24, 2007 at 4:43 PM

I tot my area was bad… yours even worst.

2. posted on Apr 24, 2007 at 5:06 PM

Such scenes are common in HDB (highly dirty boarding) flats. Suggestions? Just turn a blind eye or upgrade to condo or landed property lor.

3. posted on Apr 24, 2007 at 5:39 PM

tsk tsk tsk, so dirty and unsightly!
    This is the ugly side (sight) in S’pore.

4. posted on Apr 25, 2007 at 1:51 AM

Wow, I guess this goes the same to every HDB flat cos mine is as bad as yours.
    Maybe all bloggers reading this now should take photos of our own HDB flat and see what need to improve. I will try to do so this week.

5. posted on Apr 25, 2007 at 3:54 AM

cool insider,
    Dun mind helping me out. Pls read your gmail. Response to you in the evening, have meetings the whole day.

6. posted on Apr 25, 2007 at 6:56 AM

Fwah..your place also got infested with dirty people too eh? Mine too but I must give credit to our cleaners..they are real good and I agree that we are being spoilt by them.

We always get the usual response from them like “If we were to keep clean, these cleaners will be out of a job”..absolutely selfish statement I must say…they actually traded their moral values for that.

I would still say fine fine fine..but that is about all you can go…I mean there are bins all around, just take that extra few steps and throw them..but noooo..they dun want…sigh~

Of course like you said..public education..but that will take quite a while..all we need to do now is to wait for the next generation to act upon it…hope it works ~cross fingers~

We need more people like you man Walter…eh..wanna join us? 😛

7. posted on Apr 25, 2007 at 2:08 PM

natasshea, thanks for the comments. Sure would be happy to trade links with you! Will do it now in fact.

8. posted on Apr 25, 2007 at 2:10 PM

natasshea and victor, yeah i know that my home looks like an environmental disaster. Well at least we try to do what we can and not pollute it further. As for shifting to a condominium or private house, well, maybe I will share why I am not doing so. 😉

9. posted on Apr 25, 2007 at 2:11 PM

dk, looks like we are all living in filth right? fortunately we have the trusty cleaners to pick up after us!

10. posted on Apr 25, 2007 at 2:12 PM

tigerfish,

You are right about the ugly side of Singaporeans. In fact, other than littering, my other pet peeve is inconsiderate drivers and “nose-in-the-air” neighbours.

11. posted on Apr 25, 2007 at 2:13 PM

eastcoastlife, thanks for your email. Have already responded to it. 😉

12. posted on Apr 25, 2007 at 2:14 PM

pauline, great idea! maybe i should have done this as a meme? A filthy and stinky one to boot! See who can photograph Singapore’s dirtiest neighbourhood!

13. posted on Apr 25, 2007 at 2:18 PM

jason,

I know what you mean and exactly what you are experiencing too, especially since your work depends on it! Part of the problem like I identified is the issue of maids picking up after our kids. In fact, I often see kids and teenagers litter, and not just the uncles and aunties who drink beer, spit and utter vulgarities at the coffee shop.

The worst culprits are the toy dog squad. They bring their cute little pooches downstairs to the common corridors for a pee or something more gross, and expect you to side step them like a kung fu master.

14. posted on Apr 25, 2007 at 11:50 PM

This is probably the common characteristics of most HDB flats. My area shared most similarities as yours and even motorbikes and cars are “littered” at the void decks.

What I hate most is the usual rubbish dumped in the lift! To the authority, as long as the TC employed cleaners to clear up early in the morning, it’s considered a job done.

15. posted on Apr 26, 2007 at 12:49 AM

natasshea,

Actually I love my estate for its greenery, proximity to Mount Faber and Sentosa, plus a short drive or bus ride to town. Its very convenient to get to places and most of the major expressways are just 2 to 3 traffic lights away. I guess the reason why I decided to post this is because of the frustration that I feel when others who live here don’t treat it as home.

16. posted on Apr 26, 2007 at 12:50 AM

stompoli,

Motorbikes I can imagine (since it happened here too) but CARS? How do the drivers go up into the common corridor areas? Must be stunt men in the making!

posted on Apr 26, 2007 at 4:05 PM

Looks like our fine city is not so fine after all.

18. posted on Apr 26, 2007 at 11:50 PM

chun see,

Aiyo…. Sometimes I wish that we can use other means to get people to love each other more. Unfortunately, it seems that only draconian measures (stick instead of carrot) works.