Why We Love the Botanic Gardens

April 15th, 2007   •   11 comments

My family loves to go to the Singapore Botanic Gardens, one of our island’s most well-loved tourist attractions which draw about 3 million visitors annually. Its enticing mix of free admission, beautiful 52 hectare landscape, awe-inspiring greenery and thoughtful touches makes it a must visit for us. We always feel rejuvenated after our trips there.

Pic 1
Our journey begins near the Visitor’s Centre section of the Gardens. Most of the amenities are located near here.

P1000396

The implementation of paid parking was a bane to some and a boon to others. For me, I like the idea of more parking spaces being available, even though I have to pay for it.

Pic 3
On the way in, I spotted this Hippo Bus, which is an innovative topless Hop-On Hop-Off tour service. Its owner James Heng has been known to an envelope-pushing entrepreneur who recently won the tourism awards.

Pic 5
The Visitor’s Centre provides a nice shady spot to rest and prepare for the hike through the garden. Old-world style clocks telling the time of major cities around the world plus photographic exhibitions add a nice touch. Its ample seats are also useful, especially for the numerous parents with tots on prams.

Pic 6
SBG’s family friendliness is extended to its changing/ maternity room (which is very decent and comfortable I might add) as well as water coolers catering to visitors of different heights.

P1000402
The rest rooms are almost an attraction in themselves…

Pic 8
…and of course, we musn’t forget that junior needs to wash his hands after his pee pee too!

Pic 9
Cafe Les Amis has always attracted crowds of all ages despite its relatively pricey (though quality offerings). Foodies will know that its parentage – the Les Amis Group – is one of the top restaurant chains offering pristine fine dining experiences.

Pic 10
Directional signs are always an important component in any attraction. Try wandering around lost in the tropical heat and you know what I mean.

P1000557
The sights and sounds of cascading waters amidst the green and serene surroundings certainly helped to soothe many of us savage beasts instantly.

Pic 20
For those botanically inclined (like me), you can read information panels telling you about the characteristics of various floral families and species.

P1000451
Another breathtaking sight to behold, this time of the Palm Valley. This is our favourite hangout as it gives Ethan lots of room to run wild and play.

Pic 13
What are Tina and Ethan looking at? And what is he throwing *gasp* into the water?

Fishes
No prizes for guessing. The fishes and terrapins seemed ravenous and attacked every single morsel of bread thrown at them.

Pic 16
Ethan next had some fun with a new bubble-cum-water-gun. Here he is intent on creating the most number of bubbles in a single chain…

P1000477
…followed by “attack the mama and papa” with the water pistol. Help!

Pic 17
On our way back, Ethan suddenly decided to take a walk up the Rainforest track. Apparently some of the trees here are more than a century old. And of course, please don’t introduce damaging alien species that will disturb the balance of its eco-system.

Pic 18
On our way up, we spotted this intrepid guide (likely a volunteer) who was sharing with the group about the habits of the Cicada, a fascinating insect that spends 10 over years underground as a nymph before emerging for only a couple of weeks as a winged adult. Of course, its shimmering song is unmistakable in any tropical rainforest.

Pic 19
Somewhere along the jungle track, Ethan decided to take his cap off to the gardens – literally. Hot, sweaty but happy. I guess that’s what we all felt.

UPDATE (6 July 2015): Congratulations to the Singapore Botanic Gardens for being recognised as the latest UNESCO World Heritage Site. It’s a happy occasion for all of us here in Singapore, especially nature and garden lovers like us.

Tags: , , , , ,

11 comments

1. posted on Apr 15, 2007 at 4:50 PM

Nice pics!! Really great lighting and photography. Makes me want to visit the Botanical Gardens and.. buy a Panasonic Lumix

2. posted on Apr 15, 2007 at 8:32 PM

The upgrading or renovations works in Botanic Gardens has completed! Yay!
    What are the changes?
    Yep, I like Botanic Gardens too 🙂

3. posted on Apr 16, 2007 at 12:20 AM

I can’t recall when was my last time to Botanic Garden….. too bad I will be busy with my study for my weekends. Look like I have to wait a long time to visit it again.

4. posted on Apr 16, 2007 at 10:00 AM

Whoa, great post!

I was there last December and after walking for an hour, I have to give up because I develped rashes. I didn’t managed to finish the tour.

Might have to go there early in the morning when it’s much cooler.

5. posted on Apr 16, 2007 at 1:27 PM

su yuen,

Thanks for the compliments. Its quite easy to take good pics there so long as you get the right composition…. more or less. You should visit that park often too as its a great place for inspiration.

6. posted on Apr 16, 2007 at 1:30 PM

pauline, you can go when you need a break from your studies and to rest your eyes. 😉

7. posted on Apr 16, 2007 at 1:32 PM

eastcoastlife,

Oh dear, I know how sucky it is to get heat rashes. In fact, I had a rash on my face which lasted many many years of my life. Sometimes it will flare up and I will get red blotchy patches that are terribly itchy and flaky.

Thankfully, through God’s grace and also a change in lifestyle and diet, it is now well under control. Maybe you should try to eat more fruits and vegetables, or go on “cleansing” regimes?

8. posted on Apr 17, 2007 at 5:38 AM

cool insider,
    oh you oso kena?

I eat fruits, vegies and herbal porridge. I do detox. Still liddat. Tats why cannot go out in the sun. Like vampire, cannot see daylight! 🙂

9. posted on Apr 17, 2007 at 2:41 PM

=( noticed my commenst on this post are not published.blogger old probs again.

So i shall comment again lar..

I liek this series of posts of ur family outing, bro. not onli nice to read but also great to look at with all those pix taken. Ethan looks extremely cute in the [washing-hand’ photo. 😉

10. posted on Apr 17, 2007 at 2:45 PM

went to Botanical garden a month ago. that was during the nite. its pretty cooling at nite thou, there r nite strollers, runners, and also dog-owners with their pups. Of coz there are couples having their tete-a-tete under the trees too.

The resaturant there is worth visiting and been receiving quite some gd reviews, but expensive thou. shall post it someday if i went back.

11. posted on Apr 17, 2007 at 2:56 PM

Zeezee,

Glad that you liked the series of posts and also the photographs. Botanic Gardens is certainly one of our favourite places that help to bring peace and tranquility to our troubled minds. My son Ethan also likes it very much and in fact he was the one who wanted to go this time around.

One of the things which inspired me to blog is that it helps to connect me to my own innermost thoughts. At the same time, it captures the important memories and moments of my life. This is something invaluable that money cannot buy.