My Pop’s Birthday Bash at Broth

May 3rd, 2007   •   14 comments

Last Saturday (28th April) we celebrated my dad’s 67th birthday at Broth, a charming Australian style restaurant along stone-cobbled Duxton Hill. For the unitiated, Duxton is a charming little neighbourhood of clubs and restaurants sandwiched between the financial district and the more boisterous Chinatown area in Singapore.

Good things come in small packages, and this boutique restaurant never failed to live up to its promise. After reading several rave reviews here, here, and here, we decided to give it a try. I worked with its owner Steven Hansen before on an event at a museum and it went pretty well. A nice and friendly chap who came here from Melbourne a couple of years ago, Steve also runs River Cafe located at the Singapore Tyler Print Institute at Robertson Quay, another quality Aussie style dining joint.

The overall ambience and food quality was superb. We gave a thumbs up for most of the dishes, including the lamb loin, steak, pork chop, salmon and starters. Of course, the dessert of sticky date pudding literally took the cake!

Unfortunately, my food photographs didn’t turn out well so I will skip posting them here as they may do injustice to our splendid dining experience.

Stone cobbled path of Duxton Hill adds a unique old world charm to this creative neighbourhood full of advertising agencies and design firms.

Broth 1
A view of the restaurant from outside.

Broth 2
Happy diners chatting and making merry in an al fresco manner, with a big fan keeping them warm from Singapore’s tropical heat.

Broth 4
Numerous awards and accolades bear testimony to the pleasant culinary experience which we were treated to.

Broth 3
Simple and tasteful decor with rich wooden panelling adorned the restaurant’s interior. Most of the staff were young, enthusiastic and helpful too.

Broth 5
My family enjoying their meal. From clockwise: my dad, mum, son Ethan and wife Tina.

Ethan obviously enjoying his soup and bread, while cheerfully greeting fellow diners.

Broth 6
My dad (whom I call Pop) blowing the candle on his sticky date pudding with me, my mum and Ethan looking on.

Tags: , , , ,

1. posted on May 03, 2007 at 5:48 PM

Good recommendation Walter! Happy Birthday to your dad!

2. posted on May 03, 2007 at 3:02 PM

Good One!!! Another place to mark in my food-hunting diary.

3. posted on May 03, 2007 at 5:04 PM

Nice write-up on the place! Love the way you write and describe things. Happy birthday to your dad!

4. posted on May 04, 2007 at 8:45 AM

zeezee, thanks you should go with your friends. Nice place.

5. posted on May 04, 2007 at 8:46 AM

natasshea, i am sure there are nice little cosy places in Malaysia too? Sometimes I prefer these outlets to the large factory style buffet restaurants.

6. posted on May 04, 2007 at 8:47 AM

su yuen, thanks for your compliments. I guess after so many years of practise it does become part of my life.

7. posted on May 04, 2007 at 8:48 AM

jacklyn, thanks and also for visiting my blog.

8. posted on May 04, 2007 at 9:31 AM

hoho cool insider,
    I shall try Broth one day. You did such a good write up for them, hope he gives you a discount. 🙂

You resemble your Mom more huh. As if from a cookie mould. hehe…

9. posted on May 04, 2007 at 4:45 PM

What a happy moment 😀
    Ethan really looks like he is enjoying himself a lot.
    Does your dad and mum know they are being “published” ? Haha!
    Agree with ECL, look like mommy 🙂

posted on May 05, 2007 at 3:53 AM

You parents look so contented. You are setting a good example for your son. Remember the Cat’s In the Cradle song?

11. posted on May 04, 2007 at 9:58 PM

Thanks for the compliments.

Very astute observation on my maternal resemblance. In fact, many have said that I looked like my mum from time immemorial and that my brother looked like my dad (though I feel that is debatable).

12. posted on May 04, 2007 at 10:00 PM

Yes my parents and other “unfortunate” relarives do know that they are published occasionally. I try to cover both professional and personal topics in my posts, and to add a marketing twist wherever I can too. Hope that it worked so far.

13. posted on May 05, 2007 at 2:13 PM

chun see, I certainly remember that song and in fact its one of those anthems which govern my life. Its a sober reminder that if we don’t spend time with our kid as fathers, then the same may happen in the future when we get older and our kids become fathers themselves. Somehow its particularly more true of guys who are weaker at maintaining cross-generational relationships.