The Secret Chemistry between Kids and Animals

May 13th, 2007   •   16 comments

Ethan petting Coffee and Sugar, two absolutely adorable King Charles spaniels.

Two weeks ago, we visited our favourite outdoor haunt which is the Botanic Gardens. While I went jogging around the tranquil park, my wife and son met this friendly couple who allowed Ethan to walk and play with their two toy dogs “Sugar” and “Coffee”. From the word “Go”, it was obvious that kids and dogs have a natural bond with each other as you can see from the photograph above.

Cats are no exception too. Ethan has started to grow fond of a neighbourhood cat who lives downstairs near the lift landing area. He even gave her a name – “Patty” – and they seem to have a bond with each other from day one. Just today, he asked me to take a photograph of the cat too.

Crouching toddler and un-hidden cat.

I only hope that he doesn’t start clamouring for a pet of his own soon!

1. posted on May 13, 2007 at 5:56 PM

Haha! If he started to love pets then he would be as handful as me! I have 3 dogs, 3 aquarium tanks filled with fishes (not counting the outside mini breeding pond), hamster, stray cats that visits me constantly for food!

Thinking of getting budgerigars soon! Those small parrots!

Hehe!! Animals are great for raising children actually.. especially gentle dogs. Teaches children in social activity and responsibility!

2. posted on May 13, 2007 at 8:44 PM

hey, nastasshea, not to forget ur iguana. u used to hv one if i remeber correctly.

Coolinside, i got a schnauzer, Zico!! Hehe. yea. i think most kids like animals. And normally kids who like animals grow up to be loving and happy person.=)

3. karenyiau
    posted on May 14, 2007 at 7:49 AM

I would love to keep a puppy for Dillon too if possible. He likes cats now but a bit afraid of puppy as he seldom sees one in the area where we stay.

4. posted on May 14, 2007 at 3:32 AM

yeah have some kind of bond with animals dun they?

Like my niece man..likes to go around making friends with animals from cats to dogs to lizards..yeah you get the point.

Unfortunately for my sister (her mother), she hates animals and cring whenever she takes my niece out for walks and she heads for an animal to ‘make friends with’..kekeke..

5. posted on May 14, 2007 at 8:09 AM

Patty the cat looks well-fed. So fat! hehehe….

I’m sure Ethan would want a companion to play with. Something smaller than him. Either you get him a baby brother or sister or a pet. hehehe….

Note : The durian place – 115 Sims Drive (next to a Tibetan Temple). Can bargain hor. Speak dialect better.

6. posted on May 14, 2007 at 11:03 AM

Wow! It seems like you have an entire menagerie of beasts in your home. How do you find the time to take care of all of them and work at the same time? Sniff sniff…. I smell mummy and daddy somewhere…

7. posted on May 14, 2007 at 11:06 AM

Is your schnauzer in Brazil or Singapore? Zico of course is the name of one of the big time legendary footballers in the Brazillian World Cup team. Glad to know that Ethan will grow up to be loving and happy!

8. posted on May 14, 2007 at 11:07 AM

I think it is quite similar with Ethan too. My wife ain’t exactly an animal lover but she likes the idea that he is comfortable with creatures. When he was younger, he seemed to be afraid of them including goats. Now that he is older, he is much more happy petting, feeding and hugging them even.

9. posted on May 14, 2007 at 11:08 AM

It would be nice but do be prepared for the task of taking care of the critter thereafter.

10. posted on May 14, 2007 at 11:09 AM

The neighbourhood cat probably gets more food than real pet dogs and cats! Then again, it may not be nutritious stuff and perhaps more carbohydrates and other leftovers. 🙁

OK I got the hint but unfortunately, we are both far too busy to handle another kid or pet for now. Plus getting on in years too…

11. posted on May 14, 2007 at 8:22 PM

I love animals. Zoo has been my favourite excursion trip since young. I think Ethan will grow up loving many more types of animals besides cats and dogs. I have 2 Silky terrier and they are perfect companion! Can consider a friendly one for Ethan…

12. posted on May 14, 2007 at 1:32 PM

Zico is in SG, the King of Chong;s family =)
    I like Zico the football player hence my schnauzer is named after him. Never did i expect I would come to this Samba Land one day.

I hope Ethan’s cut on his knee isnt serious. Poor boy, his skin is more delicate than mine.

13. posted on May 14, 2007 at 11:05 PM

It must be such a nice coincidence eh? I wonder if you had the chance to catch the Brazillian soccer team in action before? Hmmm… noticed you like all things Zzzz….

14. posted on May 14, 2007 at 11:22 PM

Indeed, animals help to make life more interesting. The unfortunate thing is that both of us work pretty late almost everyday and won’t have the time to take care of the poor animal. I guess if there is one day when I retire and live in a larger place, I may not mind rearing a pet myself.

15. posted on May 15, 2007 at 11:51 AM

yaya.. i went to the maracana stadium once to watch them playing live!! It was cool!!
    Not to mention the world cup last yr! ah.. i m missing it..

16. posted on May 15, 2007 at 1:59 PM

zeezee, wah…very envious of you!