Birds of Different Feathers

June 30th, 2007   •   10 comments

About a month ago, in a sudden whimsical flight of fancy, we decided to follow the flock and make our way to the Jurong Bird Park. Part of Wildlife Reserves Singapore, Jurong Bird Park is a multi-award winning attraction. It is famed for having the world’s largest aviary and manmade waterfall. Unfortunately due to the deadly avian flu scare, it has lost some of its lustre with the locals.

Our pictorial journey begins with the little intrepid explorer picking up a map and charting the course for the day.

First stop? The Bird of Prey show at the Fuji Hawk Walk. Sponsorships are certainly a clever way to help defray the high operating costs of a large-scale attraction like this. No chicken feat I tell you!

An almost capacity crowd “oohing” and “aahing” at the exploits of various birds of prey like eagles, hawks, owls and kites.

Educational panels like this help to make the visit meaningful for experiential learners. Here we see the many different families and species of cranes.

Is that a bird house? No. It is actually a multi-lingual audio commentary machine. While the technology may be rather antiquated, it works, which is probably what counts.

Two proud storks basking in the Sun at their beautifully landscaped home. Hmmm… now where is the baby?

Signages like this certainly helped us to get around. A very necessary component in any attraction so that you don’t end up in the wrong enclosure!

I have a strange habit of checking out the loos at places that I visit. While the toilets here are generally clean with a nice view of greenery, they pale in comparison to the Zoo and Botanic Gardens.

Inside the waterfall aviary, I spotted these workmen touching up the park with a spot of paint. Maintenance is certainly an important aspect of ensuring visitor experiences are not compromised.

No prizes for guessing what this is. As I alluded to earlier, the birds do have it good.

The other exhibit which caught my attention was the Lory’s Loft. Full of chirping, colourful lorakeets fluttering about gaily, it featured a high-rise suspended walkway where visitors can feed the birds for $2 a pop.

Here is Ethan feeding a lorakeet. As the saying goes, “A bird in hand is better than…

… two in the bush.” These male (with the pink beak) and female ostriches were both inquisitive yet charming.

On our way out (or was it in?), Ethan was “trapped” by the numerous soft toys on sale. Merchandising is always a good way to generate revenue, just like…

…restaurants. Ravished after a hard morning’s walk through the park, we decided to tuck into Bongo Burgers. Obviously, our little one was inspired to look like a feathered friend!

Tags: , , , ,

1. posted on Jul 01, 2007 at 5:36 AM

hmm… seems like another good hunt for photo taking 🙂 I’ll consider going there for some shots (but hav to practise fast reaction first 😛 )

2. posted on Jul 02, 2007 at 4:24 PM

you make a great tourism ambassador

3. posted on Jul 02, 2007 at 11:28 PM

Thanks for popping by! Its not a bad visit if you like birds and the hilly landscaping is quite fun too. Shooting birds… hmmm… that will require a lot of practise!

4. posted on Jul 02, 2007 at 11:29 PM

suzie wong,

Thanks for the compliment! With the number of tourism initiatives that I find myself involved with, it may come sooner than later…

5. Endoh Taiki
    posted on Jul 03, 2007 at 9:07 AM

Been so long since I last visited Bird Park.

You pointed out the loss of interest amid the Bird Flu saga… but if they read it well, that can become an attraction itself. In fact, I haven’t heard of any Bird Parks that actively educate the visitors on Avian Flu.

6. posted on Jul 03, 2007 at 1:31 AM

ahhh..I love Lory’s Loft..such a nice place to be pee’ed on by a bird too…grrr… is Bongo Burgers? Been meaning to try that but my nieces were sooo tired…so we took them back..

7. posted on Jul 03, 2007 at 2:49 PM

Lory’s Loft is certain very nice and picturesque… Oops sorry to hear about the bird pee! I hear that its good luck to be spattered by bird shit though… haha

Bongo Burgers ain’t exactly hot. I think Carl Burgers are much juicier and tastier anyday. Of course the ultimate is still the Wagyu Burger at Four Season’s One Ninety. With the foie gras and black truffle slices, that was simply a bite made in Heaven!

8. posted on Jul 03, 2007 at 2:51 PM

Hmmm… not sure if Singaporeans are inclined to live dangerously like I do but I suppose the public education bit would be useful. After all, its not that easy to get bird flu unless you come into directly contact with their fluids.

9. <:J|ngYu)<
    posted on Sep 25, 2007 at 5:09 AM

Hey Tina!! How r u?! I was checking out for Jurong Bird Park’s Photo for an assignment.. and your blog came up.. haha.. dunno whether u still remember me.. but i worked temp at IDA in 2005..

10. posted on May 20, 2011 at 12:00 PM

It is remarkable, it is rather valuable information