It’s TigerLIVE Time!

July 27th, 2007   •   10 comments
Give that man a beer. Make it at TigerLIVE!

If you are a fan of heritage-worthy brews, you should check out TigerLIVE. Recently opened at the ultra-hip heritage clubbing venue St James Power House, TigerLIVE opens from 11 am to 8 pm daily and charges an admission fee of S$18 for adults and S$12 for those below 18. Now, before you go “So expensive!”, do note that this includes a glass of Tiger beer (what else?) plus an exclusive limited edition Tiger souvenir per person. Minors will receive a soft drink (of course).

Offering a “multi-sensorial journey into Tiger Beer’s rish past all the way to its innovative present”, TigerLIVE marries state-of-the-art technology, vintage beer bottles, local celebrities and a whimsical twist to provide an alcoholic buzz. Here’s some photos from my recent visit there as a member of the Association of Singapore Attractions.
Here’s the entrance to the various thematic zones within. Your journey begins by tracing its roots at the World of Tiger which takes one through its humble origins in 1932 to the present status as a world-famous award winning brew. Thereafter, a “pepper ghost” special brings you back to the Beginnings of Tiger Beer, followed by a trip down memory lane from using lighting and video technology in Tiger Nation. The climax is the Grain to Gold 4-D show which looks at how two wheat grains come to life through state-of-the-art animation.

I enjoyed myself throughout most of the presentations, which were done in a light-hearted and humourous manner. No photos were allowed but fortunately you can enjoy a virtual tour here.

Merchandising provides revenue which is the life blood of attractions. Here you can see Tiger Beer themed T-shirts, mugs, key chains and masks offered for sale.

Displays like this helps recapture some of the past glory of the golden brew. On the left side is an early version of the “uniforms” which Tiger “girls” used to dorn while serving customers.
Another exhibition panel on display, this time with several vintage photographs and a Tiger beer draft tap on the bottom right corner.
Glass display cases showing various shapes and sizes of beer bottles on the wall. Some funky old retro posters and mugs were also exhibited. “88 bottles of beer on the wall….”
Some of the various beer glasses that you can bring home, catering to your whim and fancy.
A huge glass of beer – the ultimate alcoholic fantasy – stands at the middle of the Tiger Den. Notice the smiling, happy faces.
More T-shirts and merchandise on the wall. Yep, these guys never miss an opportunity to make a couple of Tiger dollars.
The museum includes a large cavernouse “disco” which can be used for functions. Here is ASA Chairman Francis Phun addressing members of the ASA Champions Club- a new set up for service supremos in the attractions industry.

After a hard day’s tour, give that man a beer. Make it a Tiger…or two… or three…

Tags: , , , , ,

1. posted on Jul 27, 2007 at 6:48 AM

Let me be the first to comment: We need to have an outing there!

2. imp
    posted on Jul 27, 2007 at 9:21 AM

it’s super patriotic. but but….we avoid that tigerLive like plague. well, one, cannot tahan the taste of tiger. really. never tiger for beer. 🙂

3. posted on Jul 28, 2007 at 5:58 AM

Walter – The tiger symbolically represents Malaysia just as the lion represents Singapore. So how patriotic can that be? Haha.

Tiger Beer used to be brewed by Malayan Breweries, am I right? Is it still owned by them?

4. posted on Jul 28, 2007 at 1:11 PM

Ahh… what will I do without Wikipedia? I have found out the answer here.

5. posted on Jul 28, 2007 at 4:06 PM

I hear you loud and clear bro! In fact, I wanted to do it there the last time but I guess the rest were less …err…alcoholically inclined? 😉

6. posted on Jul 28, 2007 at 4:08 PM

Hmmm… well I do like an Erdinger or a Hoegaarden for beer. Brewerkz and Paulaner also serve some pretty good stuff from their microbreweries. I guess for TigerLIVe, its the whole experience that is quite unique. haha

7. posted on Jul 28, 2007 at 4:12 PM

Good bit of wikipedia sleuthing there! Actually Tiger Beer has a pretty long history in Singapore and Malaysia. Back then, I guess Malaya was the operative term used to describe the entire region. Of course, it is now a pretty global brand though as Imp would suggest, its beer may not be the best tasting. Still, its pretty admirable to consider what they have done to become one of Singapore’s top consumer brands.

8. posted on Jul 30, 2007 at 4:49 AM

Fwah Brudder Walter, u happening man..going St. James all..

I did got lost once and somehow ventured into TigerLive…as a non-Tiger fan, I was really impressed with the old skool items they stashed there..hmmm…a real Tiger museum eh?

9. Henry
    posted on Mar 16, 2010 at 7:40 AM

Hi Walter,
    Do you know where I can buy a Tiger
    Beer draft tap or a tiger beer draft tower?
    I am also looking for Tiger beer coasters.

10. SBO
    posted on Apr 27, 2015 at 6:13 PM

Personally, I like Paulaner natural wheat because bubbles like cream, soft fragrant, like eating with light meals, most top.