Let’s Go Green 2 – Using Recyclable Bags

July 10th, 2007   •   9 comments

Have you started using recyclable bags for your shopping needs lately? It isn’t that difficult to tote a few grammes of light woven bags wherever you go. Not only does it help to burn a little more calories, they are also easier to carry around compared to lots of plastic bags. Most can be slung around the shoulder and you can look fashionably chic while doing your bit to save our world.

The damage caused by plastic bags and other non-biodegradable items are far too huge for us to ignore. Just look at this example here. Plastic makes up 80% of the volume of litter on roads, parks, and beaches and makes up 90% of floating litter in the ocean (BEC). Each year, an estimated 500 billion to one trillion plastic bags are used worldwide, with billions ending up as litter in landfill sites. What’s more, it takes at least a century (yes 100 years) to degrade them!

Let’s do our part folks.

Tags: , , , , ,

1. posted on Jul 10, 2007 at 2:26 AM

Yes, I am doing my part to go green by reading your blog and going on an armchair tour of Chek Jawa. That way, I don’t even have to leave my house and get my sneakers muddy. 😉

2. posted on Jul 10, 2007 at 7:57 AM

brudder Walter..steady man..nice of you to use less plastic bags too..

nice stats btw..eh..u planning to get that bag for your wife? keke..

3. posted on Jul 10, 2007 at 1:40 PM

Hehe…Good one there. Well at least hope you can imagine the smell of the salty mangrove air and the sting of mosquitoes…. bzzz

4. posted on Jul 10, 2007 at 1:41 PM

Thanks and you definitely should go green man, considering that you are working in the Ministry Of Green! Hmmmm or is that Mindef? haha… I don’t know about the bag but that’s a good idea!

5. Endoh Taiki
    posted on Jul 11, 2007 at 5:13 AM

I wonder how many plastic bags I see at the beach were from 20 years ago. Haha.

6. posted on Jul 10, 2007 at 11:02 PM

Amen to that, Walter! But on several occassions I’ve asked the shops if they still have those recyclable shopping bags, and they never seem to stock them anymore…Metro at one point gave them away when they started promoting the use of recyclable bags.

7. posted on Jul 11, 2007 at 1:46 PM

Agree with your observation that not many places stock those woven bags. Well, there seem to be a fashion trend nowadays for ladies to carry a recyclable bag me thinks. Fairprice still do stock them occasionally I believe.

8. posted on Jul 11, 2007 at 1:50 PM

Hmmmm…. I don’t think you will find very old plastic bags at our beaches. In fact, there is a very admirable group of young Singaporeans who clean up our coasts now and then. They call themselves the International Coastal Cleanup Singapore. Some details here. You will be staggered by what they find!