Fantastic Fireworks

August 17th, 2007   •   20 comments

Brought my family to catch the Fireworks Festival, a must go for anybody with a 3.75 year old. Part of the National Day celebration, this year’s event was unique as you could buy tickets to sit comfortably on the floating platform at Marina Bay. At $8 apiece, it wasn’t too expensive. Besides, it gives you a breathtaking view of the action.

Here are some pics and videos for memories. My son Ethan certainly enjoyed it and I am sure he will have sweet dreams tonight.
Wait a minute. Has the show started already? Why are these people whipping up their cameras and snapping away?

The answer? Pre-fireworks entertainment in the form of fire eaters and dancers. Kind of related though the flames aren’t exactly as hot as those in the night sky.

Yet another fiery acrobatic performance. This unicyclist managed to juggle four flaming torches without missing a beat. Of course, his accomplice, a member of the audience, didn’t do too badly either.

Ethan couldn’t resist snapping a pose with the huge dancing balloons surrounding the platform.

The huge 27,000 strong crowd waiting in eager anticipation while the two emcees from Power 98 and 88.3 FM bantered on…and on… and on….

The warm-up performance was a light and music show emanating from the stage.

Followed by dazzling, kaleidoscopic fireworks in many different shades. This one takes the form of pink and orange beams shooting into the sky.

Blue flashes, white spikes, green showers, and golden yellow trajectories here.

Splashes of red and orange illuminating the night sky.

Followed by greens, yellows and whites.

And of course, the climactic finish with multiple hues, patterns and bursts going off towards the end.

To help you relive the experience, here are two rather amateurish videos which I captured.

I just LOVE them fireworks. Do you?

Tags: , , , ,

1. posted on Aug 17, 2007 at 5:49 PM

just curious, how early did you have to be there to get a seat?

2. posted on Aug 17, 2007 at 6:31 PM

i think it was mentioned that he bought tickets at $8 each … i think the tickets have all been snapped up.

i watched it from the padang… not a bad place to watch it.. a few hundred others thought so too 🙂

3. et
    posted on Aug 17, 2007 at 6:31 PM

Very nice fireworks…

Love to see more street performances on a regular basis instead of only on special occasions like this. When I walked down NYC, street performers like these are everywhere.

4. posted on Aug 18, 2007 at 5:13 AM

I see that you, or rather, Ethan has enjoyed himself thoroughly last night. I may be there tonight too. Will have to see how the schedule goes today.

5. posted on Aug 18, 2007 at 5:48 PM

Looks so gorgeous. But so crowded…

i hate crowds…

6. posted on Aug 18, 2007 at 1:45 PM

Beautiful. I like fireworks, but not the crowd that goes to watch the fireworks.

7. posted on Aug 18, 2007 at 7:26 PM

hey Walter,

was there the night before, but did’t pay $8 – I was watching from Marina Square 🙂 Still, I had a tough time getting to City Hall MRT after that!

I still prefer the experience of setting off our own fireworks at Kukup! 😛

8. posted on Aug 18, 2007 at 11:16 PM

Hi there! We got there at about 7.40 pm or so, which isn’t very early actually. Due to the immense jams and carpark situation, I had to park somewhere further and walk to Esplanade. Its good that I know the territory well, since my office is in the vicinity of this arts and heritage district. 😉

9. posted on Aug 18, 2007 at 11:24 PM

Thanks for compliment. Its certainly a good idea to have street performers add to the colour and bustle of the festivities. Part of building a stronger showbiz culture in Singapore.

I would love to visit NYC one of this days, having read so much about it in books. Plus of course it is the Mecca of Marketing for Advertising Aficionados like me!

10. posted on Aug 18, 2007 at 11:28 PM

Yeah the tickets were snapped up pretty quickly. I guess its because they pre-sold it at schools and by the time it went to the public, most were already bought. Hope you enjoyed it at Padang too, which offers a different perspective.

11. posted on Aug 18, 2007 at 11:29 PM

Great meeting you this pm and getting your autograph for my book! He he…. Hope your manage to catch it last night. Ethan definitely enjoyed it.

12. posted on Aug 18, 2007 at 11:31 PM

Yes, they were beautiful and like you, we are generally allergic to crowds. Good thing though is that they are very orderly, since most are families with young kids.

13. posted on Aug 18, 2007 at 11:32 PM

Looks like another crowd aversive person here. One way to catch this in some privacy is to book the adjoining hotel rooms. However, that certainly will cost more than $8 apiece…

14. posted on Aug 18, 2007 at 11:33 PM

kian ann,

Welcome back! Marina Square on the steps could be a great place to catch it too. MRT is certainly going to be packed to the gills after mass events like this.

I was chatting with a colleague about fireworks and it seems that in Malaysia you can still do it…well… maybe subversively? Over here, it is no way Jose…

15. posted on Aug 19, 2007 at 5:00 AM

I love fireworks too. You did a really good job capturing those shots. The photos turned out so well. I can never take a successful picture of fireworks. Usually, they turn out too dark and always look like “ghost images”(not sharp)….:(

16. posted on Aug 19, 2007 at 6:49 AM

I watched the firework on Friday night (not from Marina Bay but near the Singapore River) and I love it so much. It was so beautiful. Great you enjoyed it too.

17. posted on Aug 19, 2007 at 9:58 AM

Thanks for your compliments. I think I was lucky to have a pretty good albeit basic camera able to capture it at different modes. The trick is to snap a gazillion photos and videos just in case some come out well.

18. posted on Aug 19, 2007 at 9:59 AM

Glad that you also managed to catch it. Where did you watch it from?

19. posted on Aug 19, 2007 at 4:05 PM

sigh..i regretted not going fren had three tics but I was soooo tired on a I stoned at home…uggh!!

but nice videos and pics man..

20. posted on Aug 19, 2007 at 10:39 PM

Aiyo what a waste. But I guess you should listen to your body too. Sometimes we push ourselves too hard not only at work but at play.