Wanted Ads

August 6th, 2007   •   8 comments

P1040194

Spotted the above poster advertisement at a bus stop recently on my way home. A few years ago, such an advertising concept using headlines that screamed “WANTED”, “MISSING” or “REWARD” would probably have caught one’s attention. I remembered that SPH used this style of advertising way back in 2000 in a fund raiser called The Straits Times Million Dollar Duck Race. That involved putting up WANTED style ads with the cute rubber ducky featured.

Some of us may also be familiar with Starhub’s “Ringing Dog” campaign a few years ago. Then a cute pooch with a handphone in its tummy “went missing” and was featured on TV commercials, newspaper advertisements and posters. That ad was raved by some critics in marketing circles and managed to generate quite a stir.

I wonder though if Adtag’s poster above would generate as much interest. There is certainly a lot more clutter now, and the above concept is getting a little tired from years of misuse. Having said that, I like the interactivity that SMS offers (plus its free), as well as the use of humour that the ad above employs.

Tags: , ,

8 comments

1. posted on Aug 06, 2007 at 10:19 PM

Thank you for the visit and the link. I am please to announce that you have been linked to my site also.

2. posted on Aug 06, 2007 at 11:46 PM

have you seen the monstrosity by Mio TV outside le meridien? At my recent biz opp fair at that hotel, on my way out in my car, I saw it. Arrgh!! It is grotesque. Do they bother to look at the overal design, or don’t bother, but want to rush out to market MIO TV faster than before anyone can say “Yikes!”

BTW – thanks for stopping by my blog. Looking forward to more interaction with your blog too 😛

3. posted on Aug 07, 2007 at 3:02 AM

I can only remember the missing ad for the 2 boys….long time ago.

4. posted on Aug 07, 2007 at 9:54 PM

monday morning,

Thanks!

5. posted on Aug 07, 2007 at 9:56 PM

yian tay,

Nope haven’t seen the Mio monstrosity. I have noted how they were marketing that though, with a lot of emphasis on giving away freebies, promotions, add ons etc. Its so typical here that the telcos do their darnedest to attract new customers and then totally ignore you in the service department once they snagged you.

6. posted on Aug 07, 2007 at 9:57 PM

tigerfish,

That one is really etched in our memories. I think MediaCorp has made that into a true files or missing story sometime ago. Lots of urban legends about what happened to the boys too.

7. posted on Aug 08, 2007 at 3:51 PM

apparently, the “$20,000” grabs most of my attention LOLz

8. posted on Aug 08, 2007 at 10:20 PM

slurp!

Yep! Money is always a strong sell in advertising. The other thing is the word “FREE” or “SALE”. 😉