A Great Way To Drive

September 22nd, 2007   •   12 comments

Almost everybody we spoke to about Melbourne gushed about the Great Ocean Road. Stretching over more than 400 kilometres, it was widely regarded as one of the world’s most scenic drives. Famous landmarks (for those who went all the way) include the Twelve Apostles, Otways Rainforest, Bells Beach and Skenes Creek. Naturally, we had to give it a try during our recent vacation there, and it was certainly fun (albeit a little tiring).

Here are some pictorial highlights of our journey along the Ocean.

The first stop at Torquay, which is regarded by some as the centre of the surf world and the official start of the Great Ocean Road.
There were actually some surfers in the ocean when we were there, though you can’t really see them from this photograph. I hear that they were at it even in winter, where temperatures can drop to 5 to 6 deg C. Brrr….

A shot of the beautiful landscape near Skenes Creek from a lookout point about 300 metres above. Notice the wind-blowing-in-my-hair effect.

A view of the Southern Ocean (which leads to the Antarctic) in the region between Lorne and Apollo Creek. I believe they call it the Otways?

Yet another view of the same area, this time from a lookout embankment in the area called Big Hill.

A contoured map with the relief of the Great Ocean Road area at the view point.

More shots of the ocean (ok, it isn’t called the Great Ocean Road for nothing), at the region nearer Apollo Creek. Of course, there were other highlights too…

Like these cattle serenely grazing in the miles and miles of farmlands which stretched as far as the eye can see.

A lunch stopover at Lorne helped to perk us up after a long drive. Note the highly nutritious looking greens.

Sooner or later, I had to get into the action too. My brown sweater kind of blended into the beach sand actually.

On our way back (yes, it was getting cloudy and rainy, although nothing like our thunderstorms), we managed to get this lucky shot of a rainbow.

All good things must come to an end. Good thing that we managed to sustain Ethan’s interest (amidst stretches of snoozing) for a pretty long time.

Tags: , , , ,

1. Kenny
    posted on Sep 22, 2007 at 5:30 AM

Oh man, THE Great Ocean Road. Was it that great to drive on as they made it out to be?

2. posted on Sep 22, 2007 at 3:17 AM

Nice shots, beautiful scenery

3. posted on Sep 23, 2007 at 1:52 AM

Thanks dude. I think the 3D experience is so much more powerful actually but how to bring it back to Singapore is the challenge. Videos shot from a car doesn’t quite do justice too.

4. posted on Sep 23, 2007 at 1:53 AM

It was pretty fun to drive along those stretches and enjoy the scenery. Of course, after a couple of hours, it does get a little repetitive. Some of the cliff views overlooking the ocean were awesome!

5. posted on Sep 24, 2007 at 2:38 AM

Well Henry says it…nice shots man..I love the blue skies…mmmm…

so like what camera u use ah?

6. posted on Sep 24, 2007 at 4:46 PM

I visited GOR in winter. The ocean was white, the wind was chilling but it was a great experience. I can literally see the sceneries in my head now

7. posted on Sep 24, 2007 at 5:09 PM

Hahha…Mr Sand Man, Ethan must be missing melbourne already :)
    I like Great Ocean Road as a long coastal drive. For the scenery, I bet you get similar elsewhere. I prefer Tasmania for this.

8. posted on Sep 25, 2007 at 9:52 PM

Beautiful pictures you’ve got there. Makes me want to go for a holiday too. Haven’t visited Melbourne even tho we’re rather near….

Your last picture sums up my not traveling for years. With kids, it’s not easy to travel, especially not 4. :)

9. posted on Sep 25, 2007 at 11:34 PM

Thanks dude. I use a panasonic lumix DMC-FX01, which is one of the world’s smallest camera with a 28 mm lens. Some details here.

10. posted on Sep 25, 2007 at 11:35 PM

Sounds like a great time to visit! I love winter (unlike my dad who has never seen snow in his life), and it is my favourite season of the year. Well, we have to appreciate that icy coldness soon because they are melting quicker than we can imagine!

11. posted on Sep 25, 2007 at 11:36 PM

Ahhh yes Tasmania was a fabulous holiday adventure too. I remembered having a good time when I went there a few years ago. Definitely a must repeat-visit place.

12. posted on Sep 25, 2007 at 11:37 PM

I can imagine with four kids how travelling will be like! Probably have to wait till at least some of them are old enough to take care of themselves and help in the younger ones?