Is Toyota Diversifying into Food?

September 27th, 2007   •   16 comments

Spotted this advertisement at the regular bus stop which I take. Hmmm… notice the (R) – ie registered trademark – next to the words LEXUS? Does this mean that the world’s number one automotive company is now going into cream crackers?

Notice how closely the font of the biscuit brand emulates that of the luxury marque as seen below:

I wonder if the biscuits are as silent as the Lexus cars when you bite into them? 🙂

1. Gallivanter
    posted on Sep 28, 2007 at 1:46 AM

I guess they can never copyright or put a trademark of their car model names. Watch out for Keropok Vios next! 🙂

2. posted on Sep 28, 2007 at 3:18 AM

That’s a good one! 😀
    Now I wanna know what does Lexus mean…if it has any meaning or is it any english/latin word?

3. posted on Sep 28, 2007 at 7:30 AM

wahaha!! Nice one man..hey..funny story..I have been eating this for a while now and it has never crossed my mind that it shares the same name as the Toyota Lexus..wahaha!!

4. posted on Sep 28, 2007 at 7:36 AM

>I wonder if the biscuits are as silent as the Lexus cars when you bite into them?

I am also wondering why Lexus the prestigious Japanese marque is as silent as its cars on this matter? Could it be because there’s unlikely to be any infringement of its brand name as there is no way one product could be mistaken for the other?

5. posted on Sep 28, 2007 at 9:19 AM

All this while I thought Lexus was just the company name! *slaps forehead*

6. posted on Sep 29, 2007 at 2:17 AM

Wow that brings a whole new image to the biscuit. I mean, before this I’ve been buying the biscuit like any other normal biscuit but now that you tell me its owned by an automobile company? umm.. somehow I’m making the association of greasy and dirty oil workshop to the biscuits ^^;;;

Maybe that’s why they’re so silent about it. Must be the perception the public will get if they find out its by one of the world’s top automobile manufacturers.

posted on Oct 01, 2007 at 5:52 AM

I eat this ‘branded’ biscuit quite regularly. Bet they have plenty of trans fat.

8. keeyit
    posted on Oct 03, 2007 at 8:12 AM

I do not know that is from Toyota BUT i ate that biscuits before. hehehe..

9. posted on Oct 03, 2007 at 11:18 PM

Yeah…. I guess certain names can’t be trademarked. The difference is quite marked though, which is what caught my curiousity

10. posted on Oct 03, 2007 at 11:22 PM

That’s interesting. I tried to explore but apparently, there isn’t any meaning to the world LExus… which means that you CAN copyright it… hmmm…

11. posted on Oct 03, 2007 at 11:44 PM

Are the biscuits tasty?

12. posted on Oct 03, 2007 at 11:45 PM

Yeah I wonder why they didn’t take any action… or maybe they were the ones who came later? I thought perhaps one had a trademark in Japan first while the other in Singapore. I am sure they must have met sometime…

13. posted on Oct 03, 2007 at 11:49 PM

Lexus is the brand name of the car, but Toyota is the parent company. 😉

14. posted on Oct 03, 2007 at 11:50 PM

chun see,

I think you can afford it lah… u are still pretty trim at your age. 🙂

15. posted on Oct 03, 2007 at 11:51 PM

Haha… I guess then Toyota did succeed in creating a brand that differentiates itself from its other brands of cars.

16. Anonymous
    posted on Feb 06, 2013 at 9:44 AM

If this biscuits were to be sold in the US, Toyota would bring it up to the courts. So many cases regarding similar or same trade names with the copycat being sued.