Lovin’ Those Trails

September 12th, 2007   •   7 comments

At the recent IPRS Conference (PR 2.0) where I was invited to share as a panellist, I was inspired by Christopher Grave’s presentation which covered amongst other things the concept of “love trails”. These are paths off the beaten track created by folks to provide short-cuts from point A to point B.

As a runner and a frequent “trail blazer”, I found that this point resonated with me. It is somewhat similar to the idea of serendipity, where people choose to do what they do simply because they feel like it. Or the concept of tags in folksonomy.

What this means is that you shouldn’t box people into target segments by demographics, psychographics, GenX-GenY, and what have you. What this also means is that you let people choose how they prefer to interact with you and your organisation. If you are interesting enough, they will come to you, and find a way to get there.

As Frank Sinatra would have sung, “I did it MY WAY!”

Tags: , ,

1. posted on Sep 12, 2007 at 9:48 PM

How true! And it’s coincidental that I read something about creativity today and the gist of it was to – “not linearize” and “not routinize”.

2. posted on Sep 13, 2007 at 4:26 AM

Woah, nice one man…ur entry actually refreshed my memory on that..eh..did you take that from melbourne? if yeah, interesting to know that you could actually tie in your vacation to your interest.. 😉

3. posted on Sep 13, 2007 at 2:37 PM

hehe… providence indeed. I think sometimes its easier said than done. Well, something that we all should still aspire towards one day – treating our customers as individuals first and foremost rather than a statistic.

4. posted on Sep 13, 2007 at 2:38 PM

jason ho,

Haha… I wished that I have taken that photo. Unfortunately no. I got it from somewhere and thought it best reflected the idea which Christopher Graves taught that day. 😉

5. posted on Sep 13, 2007 at 11:47 PM

Cool… Some of us have too many baggages to honestly think of having “My Way”. Only when we can openly embrace new things/thoughts would we have the freedom to achieve that. By then, there is no box to break because we weren’t confined in the first place.

6. posted on Sep 16, 2007 at 8:23 AM

Haha…. yeah I guess many of us in this profession – myself included – still tend to box customers into different categories. The challenge is getting them to be involved as part of the action.

7. posted on Sep 16, 2007 at 4:28 PM

i tend to think trails as “boxed” path for benefits of people & nature surrounding it.

“unbox” will be akin of exploration mode, allow people to wonder around anywhere they want. to the educated folks, they may discover new stuffs, however, to the uneducated, they may destroy stuffs along the way, reducing their usefulness

hence, both modes have its usefulness. “unboxed” allow going into exploration mode, be it the need to get creative, looking for new customers, or brainstorming for new designs etc. however, they more suitable for those who already have some knowledge in the areas they are exploring.

whereas “boxed” mode provides better manageability, better focus & control etc towards reaching a target/goal

imho, they tends to be complementary. hence there are no right / wrong. just right tool for the right job :)