Snowy Sensations

October 12th, 2007   •   8 comments

One of the reasons why we were so thickly dressed in Melbourne was because my son Ethan wanted to see snow. And see snow we did (well some snow since Spring plus global warming made quick work of alpine icicles). Waking up at the ungodly hour of about 4.45 am, we took a day trip to Mount Buller, a famous ski resort about 3 hours drive from Melbourne City and spent a day in a white winter wonderland. Having been to Hokkaido in December, I must add that Mount Buller isn’t in quite the same league. Nonetheless, it was great to see Ethan’s face light up as he pelted us with snowballs .

A view of the alpine “village” with ski resort hotels atop Mount Buller. As you can guess from the photo, it wasn’t as cold as we imagined it to be.

Entrance to the Mount Buller ski area. Ordinarily, this place would be entirely white-washed in winter.

A shot of the ski resort with people sliding, slipping and skiing their way down the slopes.

Art in high places, with a sculpture of a skiier on the mountain slopes.

Here’s a pic of Ethan and his papa. Notice the look of glee on his face, with a snowball all ready for action!

Another snowball fighting pic, this time with mama looking dishevelled as she helps to manufacture those icy weapons.

Imagine if the North Pole ice caps end up melting like this one day… Going… going…gone!

Of course, you can’t do without one of these. Even on a ski resort!

Tags: , , , ,

1. posted on Oct 12, 2007 at 3:19 PM

Your son really look so cute!! Looks like alot of family fun.. nice.

2. Benjamin Koe
    posted on Oct 13, 2007 at 1:16 AM

Perfect blue skies, soft white snow, and snowball fights! Why did I ever leave Australia for this hot sweaty island?

3. posted on Oct 13, 2007 at 2:53 AM

That looks lots of fun, except that there isn’t much snow… not this time of year… But still, Ethan looked like he had a swell of a time.

4. posted on Oct 13, 2007 at 8:34 AM

Wheeee…. Ethan looked so happy! And he had rosy cheeks! I’m sure it is fun pelting Daddy with snowballs! hahaha….. I would do that too.

I missed Mount Buller the last time I was in Melbourne. I’ll definitely make it the next time I’m there.

5. posted on Oct 14, 2007 at 1:11 AM

We certainly had fun in the snow… One of his favourite activities during the trip. I guess this will spur us to organise more winter vacations in future.

6. posted on Oct 14, 2007 at 1:12 AM

Hehe… I guess only you would know the answer right? Maybe its the Fried Rice Paradise that you miss?

7. posted on Oct 14, 2007 at 1:13 AM

We were there at the last vestiges of winter or rather early Spring (early Sep) in Melbourne. Weather was surprisingly less chilly than we thought, and a chilling reminder of the effects of global warming.

8. posted on Oct 14, 2007 at 1:14 AM

You should do that when you are back in Melbourne next time. Its quite a fun place to go to.