Running Up Those Hills

May 11th, 2008   •   17 comments

Henderson Waves Bridge courtesy of chooyutshing

After viewing the launch of the Southern Ridges by Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong last night on Channel News Asia, I felt an inner voice tell me that I need to run up those hills. Stretching across from Alexandra Road (Gillman area) to Telok Blangah Park and Mount Faber, there were three new linkways stretching 1.3 km long which range in height from three to 18 metres high. At the highest point across Henderson Road, it is about 36 metres above the road.

From my home at the Bukit Purmei area, I ran this morning along Telok Blangah Rise, all the way to Henderson Road, and then through Depot Road till I reached Alexandra Road near the old Gillman Camp area. Gazing upwards at the Alexandra Arch, I felt an great attraction in scaling up those heights, even though I knew that it wasn’t exactly child’s play to run up those steel structures. I wasn’t alone though as there were many families, silver-haired folks, and youths up there enjoying the breathtaking view of lush forests and beautiful landscape.
As I ran up the Gillman Hill area across to Telok Blangah Park and the awe inspiring Henderson Waves (which is the tallest point), I felt a sense of elation and exhilaration which appear to have eluded me for many months. Along the way, I jogged along the Forest Walk, sprinted across the Hilltop Walk, and crossed the above bridge from Telok Blangah Park to Mount Faber Park – my usual running territory.

It has been a long time since I felt this charged up after my regular (or rather irregular jogs). The last time I experienced this was probably more than 13 years ago back in university when I did the regular South Buona Vista/ Pasir Panjang/ Clementi route through NUS. I loved the endorphin rush which comes with long distance running, the immense sense of satisfaction, as well as the afterburner effect which takes place hours after that experience.

In fact, I was so charged up after the exercise this morning that I went to buy a new pair of running shoes – the New Balance 768 – and am all ready to test them out tomorrow morning first thing!

Gentlemen, start your engines……

17 comments

1. ian
    posted on May 11, 2008 at 7:12 PM

Nice Kate Bush reference, too 🙂

2. posted on May 11, 2008 at 11:36 AM

Hey Walter, glad to hear you’re running again!

Did it look like the linkway accommodates bicycles? They were thinking of it at one time but not sure if it went through in the end.

3. imp
    posted on May 11, 2008 at 1:38 PM

oh my! well done you!!! all the runs! that’s the thing about running through parks. the scenery’s way better than pounding pavements along the road.

4. posted on May 12, 2008 at 3:19 AM

fwah..so how is ur run this morning man?

5. posted on May 12, 2008 at 8:33 AM

Sounds fun! I wish I could run up those hills too but alas…I don’t think I could do it :O

6. posted on May 12, 2008 at 11:02 AM

After reading this post, I felt inspired to check out the Southern Ridges.

7. posted on May 12, 2008 at 11:32 PM

siva,

The walkways are great for trekking or jogging, but I don’t think they are suited for bicycles. Too narrow at certain points, and the incline can get pretty steep too. The most hazardous experience would probably be the hordes of folks walking there in groups which straddle the walkways!

8. posted on May 12, 2008 at 11:33 PM

imp,

You said it girl. Its much better than just smelling car’s fart too!

9. posted on May 12, 2008 at 11:39 PM

ian,

Haha… yes that song was on my mind as I was storming up those mountains.

10. posted on May 12, 2008 at 11:40 PM

jason,

I had a great run yesterday morning. The new shoes were a good fit and made pounding the asphalt easier.

11. posted on May 12, 2008 at 11:41 PM

tigerfish,

I am sure there are other gorgeous hills with breathtaking scenery where you are now! Just pick one that is more surmountable and just do it!

12. posted on May 12, 2008 at 11:42 PM

oceanskies,

Yeah… you should go and check out the trail. I would probably do the other half of it when I feel more up to it as it is further from my house, ie the Alexandra and Kent Ridge portion. AKan datang!

13. posted on May 13, 2008 at 1:39 AM

Thanks, guess I will go there with the briskwalkers and pasir panjang heritage guides instead!

14. posted on May 15, 2008 at 9:55 AM

Hi, perhaps one day we together go for a run. Also stay quite nearby. Last two days total two runs (Evening Run). Later I’m going there third time. Youtube “henderson waves” watch my videos. Cheers. Let’s keep in touch.

15. posted on May 17, 2008 at 4:23 PM

this type of benefits for the citizens is definitely a rare case in msia. dare not dream of having such a facility in msia. just go down to s’pore to try / enjoy it then ….. hehe

16. posted on May 19, 2008 at 10:09 AM

hi, owner and fellow bloggers. There’s one incoming Mount Faber Run in June, http://www.worldofsports.com.sg/index.cfm?GPID=19, just for information sharing.

17. posted on Jun 05, 2008 at 5:11 AM

This morning I met to my friend in a park. He also worn same stuff New Balance 768 running shoes.