I Got a Free Bus Ride!!

August 26th, 2008   •   11 comments

Every once in a while, you come across a clever bit of marketing which makes you smile. That’s what happened to me today as I took my regular bus 166 back home.

At first glance, it looks like any regular branded bus. Anybody can tell that Great Eastern Life is celebrating its 100th birthday.

It looks like business as usual inside as you can see above.

Heavily brand-oriented panels like this helps to remind you about how Great Eastern makes life great.

A grandpa celebrating his birthday with his family members all around. So cliched isn’t it?

What took the cake however was this.

Did you see that? If not, take a closer look here:

Yes, the bus was offering FREE bus rides to anybody who takes it. In other words, no tapping of the EZ Link card nor slotting in coins and dollar notes. And the best thing about it is that there are no strings attached!

You don’t have to buy any insurance from Great Eastern, you don’t have to take a brochure, and you don’t have to tell anybody about it.

Wow! Now that is certainly a clever way of getting positive brand association and awareness. I am sure folks taking that bus would be a lot more appreciative of Great Eastern’s effort to make life great.

And a FREE bus ride certainly is to me.

Tags: , ,

1. posted on Aug 26, 2008 at 12:46 PM

I got a free ride too! Though it was just 2 stops! ^_^

Actually I quite petty the bus driver for these free rides. They had to repeat at every stop that commuters need not pay for the ride today!

But it sure was a great to celebrate Great Eastern’s birthday! Nice idea!

2. Anonymous
    posted on Aug 26, 2008 at 2:36 PM

Though i did not have one but of course i knew about this campaign…and life is certainly great, working in Great Eastern…yup, Im an employee there 🙂

3. posted on Aug 26, 2008 at 3:19 PM

That is certainly a nice gesture from Great Eastern.

So you don’t drive to work eh? I wouldn’t too if I work in the city. The high parking and ERP charges really deters one from driving into the city area. Besides, there is always an MRT station nearby in the city. I would use the Park-and-Ride scheme and reduce my carbon footprint. (Learnt that term recently, hehe.)

4. posted on Aug 26, 2008 at 6:33 PM

Hmmm I didnt know of this, even though I helped to coordinate in some ways for the event that they had for the whole day at the Great Eastern building itself 🙂

Life is Great, eh? :p

5. Benjamin Koe
    posted on Aug 27, 2008 at 5:35 AM

I like it! Very innovative marketing and very real experience to the grassroots. At a rate of about a $1/pax is not too bad for branding.

6. posted on Aug 27, 2008 at 3:17 AM

Woah..this is new man..one up for advertising eh?

7. YunPeng
    posted on Aug 27, 2008 at 6:24 AM

Actually i did a similar stunt 10 years ago when my Agency worked on an anniversary celebration for PowerGas – it was to give free taxi rides ( X number of taxis within a certain week).

8. posted on Aug 27, 2008 at 7:50 AM

Me too. I have my free ride too. I sure like other company to be able to do the same and I will surely pay more attention to their products. LOL!!!

9. posted on Aug 27, 2008 at 8:12 AM

Yup I got a free ride too ^_^

10. posted on Aug 27, 2008 at 5:31 PM

Oh yah, just to add on, for such a marketing strategy, people would not mind to be ‘taken on a free ride’…. Hee..

11. posted on Aug 31, 2008 at 5:22 PM

I didn’t get a free ride, I read about it and was thinking, how nice of Great Eastern.

I’m a policyholder and I was entitled to an umbrella but must go down to the office in town.

Not only could I get a free ride that day, they even offered an umbrella for me. Wow.

Who thought of this marketing idea?