At the kind invitation of the PR folks from Resorts World Sentosa, a couple of blogger friends and I had the chance to be the first to try out the newly relaunched Battlestar Galactica roller coaster ride. It was certainly one of the most adrenaline pumping, nerve wrecking, and scream-tastic time of my life!
For the uninitiated, Universal Studios Singapore has a total of 24 attractions, 18 of which are original or new to the park.
These are laid out over seven thematic zones surrounding a man-made lagoon, and focused on Hollywood blockbuster movies and characters like Shrek, the Mummies, Jurassic Park and Madagascar.
The ride boasts of the following vital statistics:
– Its the world’s tallest pair of duelling roller coasters themed after the TV show of the same name
– Two options are available: the Human coaster where one is seated or the Cylon coaster where one is suspended
– The coasters engage in aerial combat at speeds of 90 km/h and over 14 storeys above ground
– The ride comprises several inversions, a zero-G roll, cobra roll, vertical loop, corkscrews, and near collisions inches apart (no kidding!)
– Lasting 90 seconds, each side of the coaster stretches to almost 1 km of track
Here’s a blow-by-blow account of my experience for your vicarious viewing pleasure.
To get on the coaster rides, we have to pack everything away, including our glasses so the world became quite blurry during the ride. Of course the girls with contacts didn’t suffer the same fate as us guys.
The Cylon coaster (pictured above) was a lot more thrilling in my opinion, and the shocks and swerves were significantly more pronounced, especially when the darn thing flipped over a couple of times.