“Ready, 1, 2, 3…. strike a pose and smileeee!”
Held as part of an event photography course taught by freelance photographer Sze Ping, I learnt several useful lessons:
Sze Ping doing his thang…
1) The “A” in my digital camera stands for “Aperture”, and it controls the depth of field (ie how much details one can see). Wider apertures let in more light
, but may result in a more blurry image and helps to increase the shutter speed hence avoiding a blurry image (thanks to “Sifu” Sze Ping for correcting this error of mine).
2) The “S” mode corresponds to “Shutter Speed”, and the faster the shutter speed goes, the darker (though clearer) the image becomes.
3) “Bokeh” isn’t a Malay word but instead, represents the “blurness” of an object. So now I can scold people by saying that you’re “bokeh like a sotong”!
4) When shooting events, take special note of the following photo ops:
– Pre-events (preparations/ opening)
– Ambience (environmental and ‘capture the spirit’ shots)
– VIPs (not just Ministers, but the stars on stage)
– On-going events (using different angles)
I like the double imagery in this photo of Kewei
– Audience moods/ candid shots
– Closing/ group photos
5) The new Panasonic Lumix GF3 (yet to be launched) is a superb system camera, with lightning quick focus, fabulous images and a light and compact form factor. Its awesome that we got to play with it BEFORE it is unveiled in the market. Way cool!
6) You can learn everything you like, but still end up with “bokeh” images!
After about an hour or so of theory, the group of about 40 amateur photographers were unleashed into *Scape as “Official Photographers”, allowing us to snap anybody, anything and anywhere we fancy.
We probably took a gazillion photos of celebrities…
… and of course, one of Singapore’s most well liked CEO, Mr Yam Ah Mee of the People’s Association!
Am I a better photographer after the session? Well, I think I learnt something although I’d probably need a lot more practice before becoming even a semi-pro.
Here are the rest of my photos for your viewing pleasure:
Probably my best shot of the day – a b-boy from Radikal Forze doing a handstand
Do help to spread the word too and many thanks in advance!