Fishy Tales

March 22nd, 2007   •   16 comments

Last weekend, I brought my family to Ka-Soh Restaurant, a famous old chain specialising in Fish Head Noodle. Tucked away in a nondescript corner of the Singapore General Hospital – of all places – the restaurant was literally sitting in darkness in the hospital campus when we arrived for dinner.

Despite its relatively inauspicious location, the restaurant had a good crowd when we arrived. Apparently, Ka-Soh is one of the original purveyors of fine fishhead noodles which does not use evaporated milk to thicken its soup. Instead, the milky white soup came from hours of boiling the bones of “Sang Yu” or snakehead fish. I understand that this dish is especially popular due to its purported ability to heal one’s wounds.

Although the wait was somewhat long, we enjoyed our dinner that night. The decor and ambience was casually comfortable, with a modern and minimalist Zen look. Waitresses were also generally attentive towards our needs and even advised us not to order too much for fear that we could not finish our food. Our favourite dish without a doubt was the fish meat noodles and we lapped up every single drop of the yummy soup.

Ethan and Tina tucking into fish meat noodles. Notice the unhappy look of hunger on Ethan’s face.

The second dish which we ordered was Seafood Horfun. Apologies for the blurry photo which didn’t do justice to this yummilicious dish.

Newspaper and magazine reviews plus celebrity photos galore. A must-have for marketing F&B outlets in Singapore?

A close-up of one of the newspaper cuttings, which revealed a clever spot of guerrilla PR in the face of the SARS adversity in 2003!

Tags: , ,

1. posted on Mar 23, 2007 at 9:17 AM

gasp..I have been to SGH quite a few times but have never heard of the restaurant.

Gotta try it one day man..guess you had a great time eating eh? 😉

2. posted on Mar 23, 2007 at 10:06 AM

Located in a hospital!? Choi….

So when you eat, got notice patients enter on wheelchairs or people looking sickly?

Try not to expose little Ethan to such places la. More germs & viruses than other places.

3. posted on Mar 23, 2007 at 6:08 PM

Hey, I’m a regular at SGH (well, at least 2 to 3 visite a month), I’ve never heard of a Kah-Soh there! I used to eat Kah-Soh at Milan Rd (off Alexandra Rd). Is it still there? Anyway, good recommendation! I shall have my joyous meal at this new-found place next week…

4. posted on Mar 23, 2007 at 3:15 PM

you should bring your boo to try it. its really very nourishing and my family have always enjoyed fish meat soup noodles… yum yum!

5. posted on Mar 23, 2007 at 3:16 PM

not really that germs-filled… its actually a separate building where the alumni club is located. So along the hallowed hallways, you will get to see the various doctors, professors and other medical professionals who hang around those parts.

6. posted on Mar 23, 2007 at 7:51 PM

I remember that’s a Kah-Soh near Alexandra where Shimizu(one of the lesser known yet delish Japanese nabe restaurant- used to be at Lock Road). I never stepped into Kah-Soh(at Alexandra) since it’s always soooo…quiet (no business)….
    But I love sang yu bee hoon soup and sang yu hor fun….

7. posted on Mar 23, 2007 at 11:33 PM

Thanks for popping by. Hmmm….. wonder why you visit SGH regularly? Hope that your health will improve.

I am a sucker for the curative properties of food and nutrition as therapy. Much of the principles of TCM are founded on them. Of course, I blend both TCM philosophies with the latest I have learnt in the Western world and a lot of common sense too.

8. posted on Mar 23, 2007 at 11:35 PM

I am sure that you can also cook something just as delicious as what Kah Soh can cook! BTW, I wonder if its the name of the owner or a former waitress? Service there was pretty good which is quite unusual for Chinese restaurants I find.

9. posted on Mar 24, 2007 at 5:55 AM

Walter, where exactly is the Alumni Club located within SGH?

“Kah Soh” means “daughter-in-law” in Cantonese, who is resigned to cooking good dishes for the fierce mother-in-law. That explains the quality of the dishes.

10. Chris
    posted on Mar 24, 2007 at 4:46 PM

I remember the original Kah Soh used to be near Club Street where I grew up back in the 70s. If I’m not mistaken it used to be at Toh Tuck Street (?). They are very famous for their fish head beehoon and their hor fan which they served with generous amount of sinful but delicious lard cube. I tot the stall had folded and disappeared from the face of earth. It seems they have a few branches in Singapore. Thanks Walter for the info. I’m sure gonna check it out…. I think my Dad would surely like to have a taste of the beehoon again.

11. posted on Mar 25, 2007 at 11:51 AM

Thanks for the interesting explanation on the origins of the name! The location is just beside the turning from Outram Road to the AYE. Instead of going straight to Jurong (via AYE), you immediately turn left into the SGH campus. There is a big sign outside along Outram Road.

12. posted on Mar 25, 2007 at 11:55 AM

Thanks for the comment and hope you enjoy the visit. I find that as I grow older, I start to hanker after food from older days and start to yearn after those things from the past. Its a phase in life I guess?

13. posted on Mar 25, 2007 at 11:02 PM

Hi Chris, you visited my blog about a week ago and I’ve been bad at commenting on yours! What a strange place for such good food, but it definitely looks worth the wait! You mean you went all the way there ven though no-one was sick?? 🙂 I think the food at NUH isn’t too bad, btw.

Like what you said to Chris, yep, I believe it’s a phase in life, I go through it, too, although the many things I had in my not-so-distant childhood are quickly fading away in the name of progress.. sigh.

14. posted on Mar 26, 2007 at 5:57 AM

Thanks for visiting Shilpa! I very often wish that I can turn back the clock (ala Johnny Hates Jazz) and relive my childhood days. After working for 11 and a half years, one does get a little tired and weary now and then. A walk down memory lane does wonders for one’s heart, body and soul.

Speaking of which you should visit the blog and tell all your friends about it. It has many of these little nuggets of nostalgia, museum happenings and other sweet reminiscences.

15. posted on Mar 26, 2007 at 10:33 AM

Thanks for the link, Walter… wah, indeed, very sweet memories some of those posts give me… but hey, if I could turn back the clock, I’d delete Johnny Hates Jazz from my memory, haha!

16. posted on Mar 27, 2007 at 2:53 AM

hiding in a corner? hav to ask my cousin to bring me there when i’m in s’pore