Chilling Out at Cafe del Mar

April 27th, 2007   •   10 comments

P1000693
View of coconut trees at Siloso Beach

After dinner on Friday, I drove my family over to Sentosa just to check out its night vibes. As usual, there were the tour groups who were just leaving after attending the island’s new night attraction Songs of the Sea. We decided to check out the beaches and along the way, decided to hop by the Cafe del Mar, the happening new beach club just outside Siloso Beach Resort.

P1000710>

Inspired by the original Cafe del Mar at San Antonia, Ibiza, the club played largely chill out and ambient music. To get an idea what this genre of music is like, just tune into Lush 99.5 FM (which is one of my favourite radio stations by the way).

The club has three different zones – an indoor air-conditioned area with TV screens playing music videos, an outdoor poolside area, plus a third zone adjacent to the beach with a view of the sea. It catered to a largely young and yuppie crowd, dressed in their Friday beach partying attire while sipping ice cold drinks under the stars.

P1000706

The entire mood of the place was relaxed and casual , with nice funky mood lights in different hues adding splashes of colour. Guests were bantering away, smiles on their face while enjoying the night-time breeze. Most of the service staff seemed attentive to guest needs while not being particularly intrusive. For example, we could walk around without being accosted or asked to leave (kids are usually not allowed in such places).

P1000702

The bar counter in the middle of the club is probably its crown jewel. Located alongside the swimming pool, it acted as a beacon of alcoholic delight, decked out in a bedazzling range of colours, hues and shades.

P1000703

The place also had comfortable cushioned deck chairs and little pavillions with cushions for people to lounge in. My son Ethan liked the place very much as you can see. He described Cafe del Mar as “that very colourful place with music in Sentosa”.

I have a suspicion that when he grows up, he is going to be one party animal!

Tags: , , , ,

10 comments

1. posted on Apr 28, 2007 at 4:12 AM

Its been long time I been to Sentosa. Didnt even know they have such cafe there.

2. posted on Apr 28, 2007 at 8:28 AM

pauline, there are quite a few things in Sentosa nowadays, and its starting to shape itself out pretty nicely. I guess we have to make the best out of this island tourist attraction!

3. DK
    posted on Apr 28, 2007 at 11:25 AM

Didn’t know that kids are allowed into such places. Usually must be above 18 or 21 then can go in.

4. posted on Apr 28, 2007 at 1:13 PM

Woot! Thanks. Heard about this uber cool place from my friends. Got to check it out.

5. posted on Apr 28, 2007 at 1:56 PM

dk, that’s why we said that the service was good. He he…. anyway it was quite obvious that we were passing through rather than patronising the place. What’s nice was that they didn’t seem in a hurry to chase us away which is a plus point.

6. posted on Apr 28, 2007 at 1:57 PM

eastcoastlife, You should check it out, especially if you like the beautiful crowd! Perhaps if we can get a night’s out without Ethan, we will go back there again for drinks and relaxation.

7. posted on Apr 30, 2007 at 3:54 AM

fwah..starting out at a young age eh? keke..wished my dad would bring me to such places when I was young man…now need to source for such places myself instead..keke..

but Cafe del Mar is totally wicked man…oh memories are flowing… 🙂

8. posted on Apr 30, 2007 at 4:49 AM

jason,

You do sound like a regular party-goer, which probably explains your “wicked” memories of Cafe del Mar? Hehehe…. For me, my usual parties nowadays are mostly revolved around lots of kids and cake! We do still have red wine though…. 😉

9. posted on May 02, 2007 at 8:02 AM

Cute kid! Thanks for dropping by Walter.. I’ll drop by more often. 🙂

10. posted on May 03, 2007 at 3:11 PM

haha… i still rem Jason midnite pool swimming experience. Tsk Tsk.
    i feel so ‘sua ku’ now.. muz fly back immediately to check out the cool place!