Just Play

May 31st, 2007   •   13 comments

Ethan recently had fun at our neighbourhood playground with two older kids Shaun and Amu who are brothers. Watching them leaping and laughing, slipping and sliding, and generally having a great time was pretty therapeutic for me too. If only adults like us can learn how to completely let go and have fun, I believe that the world will be a better place.

Here’s a video of him with Shaun and Amu chasing each other around the playground.

Tags: , , , ,

posted on May 31, 2007 at 10:03 AM

This comment has been removed by the author.

2. Endoh Taiki
    posted on May 31, 2007 at 10:19 AM

I seriously hate growing up all these while. Especially when my grandma pass away, the world just seems to tumble down on me. Afterall, she dotes on me the most among 30 odd cousins in my generation.

But parenthood is the best fulfilling responsibility among everything on this earth. Watching them play, grow, and step out on their own. Nothing can be better than watching our own kids being able to take on reality.

3. posted on May 31, 2007 at 9:05 PM

Adults must learn to let go. Adults should actually re-learn from kids. I always tell pple – the next day you step out of the house, you should just look up the sky and appreciate the blue beauty and white fluffy clouds above you (of course only during good weather lah!) and put on the sun shades 😀

4. posted on Jun 01, 2007 at 2:21 AM

I believe that there is a child in each of us adults. Only that some grown-ups may be too inhibited to let their “children come out to play”. Seriously, I see no harm in being playful sometimes.

5. posted on Jun 01, 2007 at 6:13 AM

You see a good example in me!!! I’m having fun everyday. Life sucks but only I can make it beautiful!

Jaymes is getting quite critical of my playful behaviour nowadays. Influenced by our school system lah – Sit down, keep quiet and listen. *roll my eyes*

Being the PR man, how do you view my recent ‘accident’ where the media turns my life upside down? grrrr…….

6. posted on Jun 01, 2007 at 6:51 AM

hmm..I don’t rem offending any people when I was young man..now as adults..we may either unconciously offend people or may take things a tad bit personal yeah?

7. posted on Jun 01, 2007 at 10:08 AM

Great advice there. Its something that I am trying to do too, which is why I took leave today. Must learn to relax and let go.

8. posted on Jun 01, 2007 at 10:10 AM

That’s true. Learning to play makes a difference in our lives, and too many adults take theirs too seriously. I don’t think you have a problem with that I am sure. 😉

9. posted on Jun 01, 2007 at 10:12 AM

Your life is a wonderfully whimsical book, although there are also tears of sadness and fear written into it. That’s what I sense from the various blog posts that you put up. However, you always manage to triumph over adversity, and it is those qualities which make you stronger and endear your readers to you.

For the media brouhaha which happened recently, I think you can take it in a positive spirit so long as nothing damaging or negative is implied. After all, what you wrote is entirely true. Perhaps we could discuss this one day? Must catch up with you again lah…

10. posted on Jun 01, 2007 at 10:14 AM

I think the innocence and purity of childhood sometimes get lost in working life. You do get a greater sense of cynicism, scepticism and world weariness with each passing year of work. This is why it is sometimes good to just let your hair down, throw caution to the winds and play.

11. posted on Jun 01, 2007 at 9:26 PM

I enjoyed my childhood until the point when I had to go to school. I grew up in the kampung where life was carefree..

12. posted on Jun 03, 2007 at 12:09 AM

Aahh… yes I can probably imagine that. Whenever I visit southeast asian countries like Thailand, Indonesia and Vietnam, I do see these pockets of village life with kids living a carefree life. Sometimes, we do lose a little with progress and advancement.

13. posted on Jun 04, 2007 at 4:48 AM

I agree with you brudder Walter. That is why sometimes..just sometimes..I would advise my friends to either be a “Relak Joe” or “Jangan tension”…:)