Pippin’ Hot Porridge

May 12th, 2007   •   8 comments

After visiting her regular TCM practitioner at Yishun last Saturday, my wife Tina and I decided to drive along Upper Thomson Road to have a late dinner at this cosy little porridge place located at Springleaf Estate. We ordered a couple of dishes to go with our bowls of steaming sweet potato porridge and had a pleasant meal.

The kangkong tasted fresh with a slight crunchy texture, while the fermented bean sauce provided a nice balance to the white porridge.

We were a little disappointed with the fried clams in soya sauce. They were really tiny. Some of the slivers of meat looked like strips of ginger!

This dish of almost raw cockles with oyster sauce and freshly squeezed lime was my favourite. Yes, I am a raw foodie who also relishes sushi and sashimi. My Tina looked at it with disgust though.

Another all time favourite of ours is minced pork with soya sauce. These are usually perfect with plain white porridge. Unfortunately, I found the sauce on this one a little too salty for my liking.

Well, this tastes exactly how it looks, which provides a slightly sweet and bland counterbalance to all the heavily seasoned meats and vegetables above.

The spread was so good that my wife Tina had two bowls of porridge at one go! Maybe she was hungry too as it was approaching 9.00 pm then. Of course, looking at her size, she can easily afford it.

1. posted on May 13, 2007 at 4:22 AM

Wooo…..my fav! Porridge!
    I can eat 2 bowls of porridge too! But will dig out the sweet potatoes for Mr TF since I find sweet potatoes + porridge = too starchy!

2. posted on May 13, 2007 at 2:25 PM

tigerfish, Ha ha…. looks like you are also counting calories? Sweet potatoes are very nutritious and rich in vitamins plus fibre though. I love those Japanese purple coloured ones best!

3. posted on May 13, 2007 at 8:47 PM

my mum used to cook potato porridge when we r still young.
    Hey, Tina definitely has a lot spare room to grow. 2 bowls of porridge is nothing. the clams look good but apparently pic is deceiving. I will give this restaurant a go then..

4. posted on May 14, 2007 at 3:37 AM

hmm..interesting..I say around Upper Thomson Road and never seen that place before..perhaps also because I have never been to Springleaf Estate…and I am a porridge fan too man..I love the one in Balestier…

Eh brudder Walter…u got address?

5. posted on May 14, 2007 at 6:17 AM

Yeah, my wife definitely can eat more looking at her size. Are you a teochew or hokkien by the way? I am half a teochew and 1/4 a Shanghainese and 1/4 a hokkien.

The restaurant is at 18 Jalan Leban, off Upper Thomson Road near to where the old SIM campus is. There is an SPC petrol kiosk just beside that area.

6. posted on May 14, 2007 at 6:18 AM

You should go and check it out. Its a nice and quiet little neighbourhood, with quaint bars and pubs around the corner. There is also a Hakka restaurant there (called Plum Village I think) which isn’t too bad I heard.

7. posted on May 15, 2007 at 11:46 AM

I m a mixedblood haha.
    my dad is hakka n my mum is Teochew Ah Nia. but i m suck big time 2 dialect, the only dialects i can understand an speak a bit is Teochew n hokkien, maybe.. a lil’ Cantonese if one speaks slow enuff.

u now wat, this is the n times i posted comment but it disappeared, another blogger bug?? Boo.. the engineers really got to do sth wif it.

8. posted on May 15, 2007 at 1:58 PM

Hey zee, apparently there is some problem with Singnet users trying to access blogger. I visited some of the user forums and this is what they told me. Apparently, Blogger’s engineers are trying to contact Singnet to rectify the problem. Meanwhile, a trick is to add a 2 in the www address, ie (http://www2.blogger.com) and so on… It works!

Hey wait…. you are accessing this from Brazil and not Singnet… hmmm.