Believe It Or Not!

August 2nd, 2007   •   11 comments

Got this tag from Jacklyn Ker about meaningful lyrics from a song and decided to choose this upbeat ditty from Joey Scarbury. I don’t know if you guys are familiar with this song which came from a very old television series (Greatest America Hero) featuring Ralph Hinkley as an un-superhero who ends up crashing into trees and buildings while saving the world.

Kind of like George of the Jungle or Super Grover.

Other than the super catchy tune, I like how the song emphasises the underdog. Yeah, I have a thing about Mr man in the street going against the odds and doing mission impossible. And of course, flying.

Greatest American Hero by Joey Scarbury (his ONLY Top 40 Hit)

Look at what’s happened to me,
I can’t believe it myself.
Suddenly I’m up on top of the world,
It should’ve been somebody else.

Believe it or not, I’m walking on air.
I never thought I could feel so free.
Flying away on a wing and a prayer.
Who could it be?
Believe it or not it’s just me.

It’s like a light of a new day,
It came from out of the blue.
Breaking me out of the spell I was in,
Making all of my wishes come true.

Believe it or not, I’m walking on air.
I never thought I could feel so free.
Flying away on a wing and a prayer.
Who could it be? Believe it or not it’s just me.

Tags: , , , , ,

1. posted on Aug 03, 2007 at 12:22 AM

Geez…I don’t know these greatest hits!

But I think someone or maybe you, can sing this when riding the Singapore Flyer….ahahah! Or the tourism board can play this as background song when Singapore Flyer is in operation ?
    Does this fit into youth or nanny marketing? LOL! NONsensical marketing, ha!

2. posted on Aug 03, 2007 at 4:16 PM

oh man..I always love Super Grover and his last statement “…and I’m cute too”..wahah!!

3. posted on Aug 04, 2007 at 12:07 AM

Haha… good one there. Alternatively, the other song would be R Kelly’s “I Believe I Can Fly…” I think there is a place for whimsical marketing, something that our overly sombre marketplace sometimes lack I feel.

4. posted on Aug 04, 2007 at 12:09 AM

Wow…. Elvis and Dolly Parton are really the icons of cool in those days (and kitsch too). Loved the Bee Gees lots too.

5. posted on Aug 04, 2007 at 12:10 AM

jason ho,

I always enjoyed that. Grover somehow embodies the funny, underdog character in Sesame Street, who is also very gentle and kind. Quite different from Oscar the Grouch, the Cookie Monster, Big Bird and of course Elmo.

6. Jeremy
    posted on Aug 04, 2007 at 4:00 PM

This song is a classic! Love the melody & lyrics.

I watched the show (“Greatest American Hero”) as a little kid. Though I can’t remember much of the show any more, the song still stays fresh in my mind.

That’s the power of a great song.

7. posted on Aug 04, 2007 at 11:30 PM

Glad you like it. Yep, the song far outstayed the movie. The other oldie is “It Might Be You” by Stephen Bishop which is more memorable than the movie Tootsie starring Dustin Hoffman.

8. posted on Aug 05, 2007 at 12:41 PM

Hey Walter, thanks for sharing this song. It’s a popular song during my secondary school days. It does brought me back some memories when I was reading the lyrics just now..
    Oh, I love the song “It Might Be You”. It’s an oldie? then I became an oldie too! LOL.

9. posted on Aug 06, 2007 at 11:48 PM

The Greatest American Hero was one of my fav comedies when I was a kid in Pri Sch. Yes the song was also my fav. I can only remember the curly haired nerdy-looking geek that’s the protagonist in the show, and yes of course his sometimes failing superhero powers (especially falling out from the sky – while flying). But it pretty much stopped there.