Loving My Country

August 8th, 2007   •   14 comments

Today is Singapore’s 42nd birthday. This year, the national day celebrations will be at the floating platform of the Marina Bay area – a first in Singapore. Culture lovers can pop by any of the NHB museums as they will be open to the public for free. There will also be lots of other celebrations and parties going on in the many households here I am sure.

What does National Day mean to you? Is it just another public holiday or does it stir something deep within you?

For me, I find that national day is a good time to quieten one’s heart a little and celebrate the things which makes life worth living here in Singapore. We have fabulous food, an efficient public transport system, relatively clean streets, high levels of security, and a soaring employment rate. If you think you have it bad, just look at the environmental disasters, acts of terrorism, abject poverty, stark hunger, political turmoil and rampant inflation happening around us.

Of course, our country isn’t perfect. There are still lots that we can do to make it better. However, maybe just for this one day in the year, let us look at the positives rather than the negatives shall we?

Tags: , ,

1. keeyit
    posted on Aug 09, 2007 at 7:45 AM

I would like to exchange link with you. Is this Ok for you ?

Please advise.

posted on Aug 09, 2007 at 10:04 AM

I used to watch the NDP on tv without fail. But these couple of years seem to have lost interest. Not sure why. Maybe it’s becos I find it too ‘showy’ nowadays, too Hollywood (too much song and dance), too American Idol (too much screaming).

Generation gap? Sign of ageing?

3. posted on Aug 09, 2007 at 12:05 PM

Same here, Chun See. But ever since I got a picture-in-picture monitor/TV last year, I could surf/blog and watch the parade at the same time, which is what I am doing now.

Happy National Day to one and all.

4. posted on Aug 09, 2007 at 2:25 PM

Thanks for dropping by! Sure would be happy to trade links with you. Will do so soon.

5. posted on Aug 09, 2007 at 2:28 PM

Chun See,

Let me confess something. I haven’t exactly been following all the last few NDPs on television too. Well, for me, its more because I am not really a television person in the first place. We prefer to go out on National DAys and to catch the vibes and energy in the city. Its the little things too – like two boys I saw cycling in the neighbourhood with a large Singapore flag stuck to the back of their bikes – that endears and warms the heart.

6. posted on Aug 09, 2007 at 2:29 PM

Haha…. Looks like you are becoming a multi-tasking teenager yourself at the ripe young age of 50? 😉 Happy National Day!

7. posted on Aug 09, 2007 at 2:32 PM

pretty much like Lam Chun See, I too use to catch the national day parade without fail but just lost interest already..

to me…its a good day to spend quality time with family and love ones..although my family bailed on me and went to Malaysia..keke..

Happy Birthday Singapore.. :)

8. posted on Aug 09, 2007 at 3:22 PM

Oops…. well the long weekend (especially if you take tomorrow off) is a great temptation for short getaways… Sigh.. unfortunately I not only cannot take leave tomorrow, but I will be meeting a very very important person. Good thing is that he is also a blogger. *wink*

9. posted on Aug 09, 2007 at 4:28 PM

As I was typing in previous comment that went missing …

When I was young, I complained alot about Singapore. BUt as I grow older, and stayed oversea a bit and travel a bit, I have come to realise how our little island is really not too bad at all.

(my last entry was longer, i can’t remember the rest now…) hahaa

10. posted on Aug 09, 2007 at 8:59 PM

Happy Birthday to Singapore! Hope I get to celebrate the 43th next year.

11. posted on Aug 10, 2007 at 12:12 AM

Yeah it would be nice to come home once in a while right? 😉

12. posted on Aug 10, 2007 at 4:57 AM

13. posted on Aug 10, 2007 at 10:41 AM

well at least spore is so much stable than msia. with 21 days to go to celebrate msia’s 50th independence day, today at a parliamentary roundtable was held just to re-affirm that msia is a secular nation that embraces islam as the official religion.

after 50 yrs, and we still need to do that and an independence statement (on similar issues at the roundtable) endorsed by 42 ngo were hit at by the ruling party. can u imagine that!

14. outsider
    posted on Aug 10, 2007 at 11:50 AM

I dislike its pretentiousness. A cowardly breed. No substance but alot of hot-airs.